ROCKY MOUNTAIN 1200KM – 2016 REPORT

ROCKY MOUNTAIN 1200KM – 2016

I first saw this ride August 2008 just after it had taken place couldn’t make it for the 2012 which was lucky as they had real bad weather. So it was to be 2016, I did not need to qualify for this as doing a PBP the year before automatically qualified me for it but for training I did a Super Randonneur series anyway, that’s a 200km, 300km, 400km & 600km ride, completing the 600 3 weeks before the 1200km.

Getting there was air transit direct to Vancouver on the 21st Friday July from Manchester, Hotel stay at Vancouver airport (most hotels have free bus transfers to & from airport every 20 minutes). Hired car for 21st to 31st for drive up to Kamloops & back. We were meting my wife’s cousin Alison in Vancouver & she would drive the car so that they would have it will I was cycling. So it was off to Kamloops arrived Saturday built bike up & checked so of for tea & would go for a run in the morning was feeling not to bad after being severely sick on the Sunday Monday previous was not worried about bike fitness as I would not loss any fitness in that short time, it would be can my body take the amount of food it would have to process over the next few days. Of to bed early for a 6:00 rise for cycle, there is an 8 hours time difference but when you’re going to keep the hours I will, it does not make that big a difference as long as you rest when you can before.

Well up & out the door of the hotel for 6:30 back in for 6:31 the seat rail had broke I had sat on the bike in the room the night before & it was fin but it was in 2 bits. Bike check was at 13:00. What would I do as the 3 bike shops were closed on the Sunday? It was back to the room & Jill & Alison were wakened as I came in & calmly came in & told them the news, they said I just lay on the bed thinking what I could do. In the end up we tried the social net work with my story we got 67 hits 3 offers of a saddle from cyclists in Kamloops but in the end up I when down early to the bike check & there was a local man Richard who was helping at the event, we went to his garage & offered me a few saddles which were all the same make as mine, Selle but not the same typ. I went for a Selle smp pro saddle now you’re in the lap of the gods as the saddle is one of the most important comfort points on the bike apart from the setup. It was back to the room saddle on run round the car park & off to the bike check. All boxes ticked at bike check, 2 off drop bags handed in one would go to Golden (390km) & then Clear Water (1032km) the other would go to Jasper (708km) ready as I will ever be.

Just to get a feel for the route sheet instructions we drove the first 20km then drive the last 5km it also let me have a look at their cattle grids which they recommended you should walk over, after seeing them it was the right thing to do. It’s time for dinner & off to bed at a descent time as the start is 05:00 on the Monday morning.

Breakfast consumed, shower dressed & off to the start. This is where you have time to think what next can happen after the last week let’s hope not too much I felt fine as you do at 4 in the morning. The start is at Kamloops Curling club which is literary next door to the hotel. All the checks had been the day before so of to the start. The sun is not up but you can see the red glow way to the east. We’re going to be heading east for 474km till we get to Lake Louise. There are only 61 starters.

Kamloops to Spallumcheen - stage length 102 km

It’s a fast flat run for 10km then up short steep rise this brakes the field up we climb slowly to a high moor at 710 m were there’s a lot of farms & it look very like Scottish borders rolling country side there’s a few cattle grids & rail road crossings to navigate with no trouble, you pass through Falkland at 73km which has a the only shop in this section, Falkland must have been started by some east coast settlers many years ago its rolling till 97km then you descend to the check point Arriving Mon 25TH.09:01 - 102km which is a small caravan at the side of the road in the area of Spallumcheen. Some home baking water & I fill up the water & have a short rest.

Spallumcheen to Revelstoke Control – stage length 138km

* Note

Between Spallumcheen (102 km) and Sicamous (170 km) there are many opportunities to buy food; some will be noted on the route sheet.  After Sicamous services are limited. There is a store at Malakwa (approx. 190 km) and a restaurant and store at Three Valley Gap (approx. 221 km

I head of on quiet roads but after 6km I join the Vernon Sicamous Highway #97A the world had woke up by now & the traffic was really quite heavy you have a hard shoulder to ride on but it does vary in width & at some bridges it would disappear altogether so you had to take the road on these occasions. Your travelling through flat farmland with not much up & down so there’s no rest from pedalling, I tend to find this quit boring but we keep at it there’s a short rest from the heavy traffic as we turn right on to smaller back roads for 10km before rejoining the #97A for 30km till it was right turn at a T junction on to Trans Canada Highway #1at 170km as you can tell I thought the #97a was heavy this is the number 1 highway that cross Canada & the Rockys at this point, thus the name Trans Canada Highway #. I was starting to feel it was time for something to eat & the route sheet said there would be a café Mal-Mar country Kitchen near Malakwa at 186km & there it was I only had to cross the 4 lane highway to get there but it was worth it out the sun & a lovely chicken salad with chips plenty water & the bottles filled up it was a nice rest before the short hope to Revelstoke. One of the interesting bits of information I gained was 45km west of Revelstoke, the site of the driving of the Last Spike at Craigellachie, signifying the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1885 the complete crossing of Canada.  I crossed the Columbia river quit spectacular at 300m wide into Revelstoke Arriving Mon 25th .03:30 – 240km, I had looked on Google maps for where I would eat as it was a free control & had spotted a Subway at the fare end of the town so 2 foot long meals for me as it was a long way to Golden. We enter the Selkirk Mountain range at this point. So I had to pay tribute to Robert with a recital of the Selkirk grace before eating my food.

Some hae meat and canna eat,

And some wad eat that want it,

But we hae meat and we can eat,

Sae let the Lord be thankit.

Revelstoke to Golden Control– stage length 150km

This is the note on route sheet

Note – It is 150 km to the next control at Golden (390 km). The hotel, restaurant and convenience store at the summit of Rogers Pass are now ALL CLOSED but our staff will be at there to provide baked goods, bananas, sport drink mix, water.  Please check-in with our volunteers there, even if you do not want any water or snacks however, this is NOT a control.

This is where the real climbing starts from Revelstoke 459m to Rogers pass at 1338m there’s a straight height gain off 2884ft never mind the undulations so its steady pace for this as its uphill for 68km getting to the pass & food stop for just before dusk, its quit important to be going down the other side of Rogers pass in the light as I was hitting  speeds of 80+km/h on occasions it was a quick 13km descent to the last climb of the day its only 754ft but with 330km in your legs you have no option to be steady. Its dark now & I start to see flashes in the corner of my eye thinking, am I that tired but after a few you could hear the thunder it got to 7 miles from me but now rain. The last 27km run in to Golden is flat so no rest, you have to just keep pedalling. I get to Golden Tue 26TH.00:07 – 390km. Golden was one of the drop bag stops so it was food & a quick shower & off to sleep on the mats provided up at 04:00 for more food & off for 05:00.

Golden to Lake Louise Control – stage length 84km 

Day 2 See foot notes on the route sheet.

Note – It is 85 km to the next control at Lake Louise (474 km). There is no place to buy food between Golden and Lake Louise.

The climbing starts from the out skirts of Golden 788m to Kicking Horse Pass at 1658m there’s a straight height gain off 2854ft & 75km of climbing or fast descents. It’s a beautiful morning climbing is quit step for the first 7 km then it a sharp drop down to the river which by the way It’s called Kicking horse River you follow the course of the river with the road on one side & the rail way on the other it must have been some feet of engineering to build this in the 1800 you can hear the labouring diesel engines pulling their freight up the valley generally 2 engines at the front 1 in the middle & 1 at the back the trains are about 1.5km long quit a site to see. This entertains me for a will as I work a way at the hill then it’s another hell rising dip down to the river this goes on for 3 hour then I see a sign start of 10 mile hill I start to wonder what I was doing for the last 3 hours. It starts easy then there are a few steep section I looked on Google earth and the gradient was 17% to 21% most of it was 7 or there a bouts but we get to the top & then hurtle the 10km downhill to Lake Louise it’s the first time you see a lot of tourist as I approach the control & hear, there he is it’s the wife & 2 of here Canadian cousins this was a real surprise as I did not think I would see them at all. They had only been there for 10 minutes so it was well time by both of us. Arriving there - Tue 26TH.09:45 - 474 km

Lake Louise to Beauty Creek Control – stage length 147km   

* Note – It is 146 km to the next control at Beauty Creek (621 km). There is a cafeteria (09:00 – 18:00 MDT), general store (07:00 to 22:00 MDT) and lodging at Saskatchewan River Crossing (555 km). Saskatchewan River Crossing is NOT a control however riders may receive personal support here. There is a cafeteria (8:00 – 18:00 MDT) and lodging at the Icefields Centre (604 km).

I set of Lake Louise & bid farewell to friends to carry on my merry way from her to my next stop at Saskatchewan River Crossing (555 km) not a control but one of the few place to get water & food. I would also go over Bow Summit at 2065m (6775ft) the highest point on the ride at 517km, from Lake Louise to there it was all uphill not particularly steep  just up & as I was now heading North West I had a slight head wind. You turn of Highway #1 onto Icefield Parkway Highway #93 as you approach the park gate there’s a bear warning for all vehicle occupants, “Bear Warning. All bears are dangerous. Stay in your vehicle if bears are encountered†I wonder what I was meant to do stay on my bike! The views on this stretch are spectacular the main Rockys are west of the Icefield parkway highway #93 & are still snow caped it was a clear blue sky so the were in there splendour also the glaciers were looking good all well sign posted for us visitors, the colours of the moraine lakes were spectacular the GoPro was going to get well used today. I only encountered one black bear in this stretch I was glad that it was on the other side of the road & was busy feeding on berries not to even notice me. Bow summit was reached with not too much hard ship then it was the fast Descent to Saskatchewan River Crossing it was getting really hot now and could feel the need for food & a rest out the shade for a short spell. Saskatchewan River Crossing reached plenty water food from the cafeteria & a rest in the shade then it was off heading for the last big climb of the day Sunwapta pass at 2035m (6676ft) the Sunwapta climb is a different climb to Bow Summit it is slit uphill then you climb to the summit in 15km with gradients of 6% to 11% there’s a large loop half way up that gives you a rest & the views from the road keep you going it takes me 1 hour to do the Sunwapta Climb main climb at 15km & 1500ft at the top there is also a small family of chipmunks scurrying about. The top reached at 599km done only 608km to go but the general dript in the ride will be downhill from now on. Just after the summit you pass the Athabasca Glacier. I you have time you can get a trip onto the glacier on a special bus from Columbia Icefield Discovery Centre which is there to. I was sorry I could not stop, no time for me just get on with it, it was all downhill to the control at Beauty Creek Arriving there Tue 26TH.19:23 - 621 km this was a small control at the side of the road so just a top up water & some coffee & cake that would get me the 87km to Jasper

Beauty Creek to Jasper Control –stage length 87km 

The run down to Jasper was uneventful as far as the ride but the sunset on the mountains was just great, I also meet up with another rider in the event Michael Tilitzky from Tofino, Vancouver Island & we chatted all the way to Jasper & before we new it, were there. It had been a hard days climbing but food sleep & some rest would have me right as rain for the next shift.  Arriving there Tue 26TH. 23:37- 707 km

Jasper to Valemount Control – stage length 125km

Day 3 up at 04:00 plenty breakfast & on the road for 05:00 see foot notes on the route sheet.

Note – It is 125 km to the next control at Valemount (831 km). ), be sure to carry enough water and food with you. There is water coming from a pipe 65.5 km west of Jasper. It has a water advisory notice but all the locals drink this water. The Mount Robson Store (794 km) has the following hours:

Mt. Robson Store and Cafe

Store – Open 07:00 – 20:00

Café – Open 08:00 – 17:00

Water tap on west side of store available 24hr

Otherwise there is no food or accommodations between Jasper and Valemount.

The route instructions for this section were pretty simple, right out of Jasper onto Yellowhead Hwy #16 & a bear left at 103km onto Southern Yellowhead Hwy #5 & that was it for this stage with a left turn into Valemount at 123km not much but if you missed these turns it could be a long way back to get on track especially the bare left.

From Jasper you’re slightly up hill to Yellowhead Pass at 734km you cross back into British Columbia from Alberta. You go back to Pacific Time so get the hour back that I had lost at Kicking Horse Pass on the way out. It was a beautiful morning & what a sun rise but it was one of these morning that just got colder & colder I had to stop twice to put cloths on then it was the steep desert down to Mount Robson café. On this stretch it was 1 black bear & 4 elks that were at the side of the road with one of the elks tiring to play dodgems with me, to closes for my liking. Got the timing for the café opening perfect so first customer. Minestrone soup & bacon rolls for me with large coffee & cake not bad for 8:30 in the morning. After all this food it was strip of all the clothes back to the shorts as the day was starting to warm up. The bare left turn came up without any trouble as the highway was not to busy so the crossing of the lanes was not too bad. Then I had a section of highway that was under reconstruction it was like a dirt road, lucky this was on a couple of kilometres. I reached Valemount Control Wed 27TH.10:38 – 833 km it was heating up now.

Valemount to Blue River Control – stage length 92km

Note – It is 92 km to the next control at Blue River (923 km), be sure to carry enough water and food with you. There are no services between Valemount and Blue River.

I headed off there was only on rise on this section a 200m climb the rest was flat or slightly down hill, it was just as well I had cared extra water as the temperature on this stretch went up to 34 degrees there was absolutely no shade on this stretch & it took its toll out off me there were part where it was such a straight road for as far as the eye could see I measured one stretch & it was 5km straight, I crawled into the control suffering from the heat you could feel you skin burning just as well I had suntan lotion on, arriving Wed 27TH.15:38 - 925 km done. I decided I would stay at this contol till 5 o’clock to rehydrate & let some of the heat come out the sun.

Blue River to Clearwater Control – stage length 107km

Note – It is 107 km to the next control at Clearwater (1033 km). There is a store at the gas station in Avola at 965 km. Avola Gas and Store Open 08:00 – 22:00.  There are no other services in this section.

I head off into the sun refuelled & well hydrated apart from the good food, there were plenty of options for cool drinks. It was a bit cooler, the sun was also a bit lower in the sky so you were getting some shade from the trees. I had decided I would stop at the Avola Gas station just to break up the journey. I just had chocolate milk & family bag of plain crisps it was cool now so I was starting to feel a lot better. At this point Michael from the previous night came in & he had a Star bucks chilled coffee it looked good. Then the two of us road off into to the busk of the night chatting our way to the control getting there Wed 27TH.22:19 - 1033 km. We had food & I also had a shower I was say to Michael that I was going to get up early to try & miss the midday sun on the road to Kamloops so we decided to sleep for two hours only.

Clearwater to Wells Gray Control – stage length 26km  

Day 4 - Note – It is 26 km to the next control at Wells Gray (1057 km). There are no services between Clearwater and the Wells Gray Control.

I get up & have some breakfast before setting out I say to Michael I was just heading out right away as I would be slower than him on the way to the control as it was a 1110ft climb in the first bit of the out & back leg to Wells Gray control it was pitch black as you leave the small town of Clearwater & hit the step sections, which were in the first 3km. the gradient was between 7% & 10% it was hard climbing in the pitch black as you don’t now were the hill ease so you just have site there & spin away. I get to the control Thur 28TH.04:16 1058km. Michael comes in just 15 minutes later were I am on my second cake & coffee. Know amenities here just the wee caravan positioned in a field.

Wells Gray to Kamloops Finish Control – stage length 148km

Note – It is 148 km to the finish in Kamloops.  Jim’s Food Market at Hwy #5 and Clearwater Valley Rd is open 24 hours. There is a Food Market in Little Fort (1113km) open in daylight hours. At Barriere (1145 km) there is a 24 hour Esso station/store and other services open in daylight hours

We both head of down the hill & decide to go back into Clearwater control for a second breakfast as you pass the control before heading for the finish which is only 125km.

We are just leaving when one of the tail enders get in to the Clearwater control only about 2 hours before the Clearwater control shuts & he still has to go up the hill to Wells Gray .We leave & you just get a feeling that you’re on your way home. Were following the Thompson river down to Kamloops, we stop at the Esso for some Chilled star buck coffee I even put one in my bottle for the last leg home at this point Michael notes if we don’t hang around to much we will be there in under 80 hours that sounds good to me as I was aiming at 85 hours so we ride steady as the sun really heats up then we can see Kamloops from the distance the route in was easy because I had driven it on the Sunday & could also warn Michael to watch out for the rail crossing at a angle which could have caused trouble to tired riders its right ,right & bare left & were home. The people welcome us with cow bells Michael & I congratulate each other then it’s into the control for the registration of the cards. Thur 28TH.12:21 - 1207 km Ride completed in 79:21 well happy. Richard is there (the chap that lent me his bike saddle). “Campbell do you wish a beer yes, well done I didn’t now how the saddle would go but it must have been fine, I say pretty good, going to get one to replace my broken oneâ€. Richard “do you want another beer that one gone down quick. Yes.†We site and chat about the ride for couple of hours the Jill & Alison arrive from the long drive from Banff that day. We say or farewells to the control people & we 3 head for the Hotel. Looking forward to a niece warm bath.

The serious part of the holiday over for me, we set of for Vancouver after the rape up party in the morning to later fly up to the Yukon to spend time with Alison’s family fishing, canoeing, Grizzly bear spotting, going to dinner in a float plan felt like James Bond on that one, climbing mountains & a wee visit to Alaska. It’s a hard life you know.

Some statistics

Total distance – 1207.4 km (749.9 miles)

Time allowed 90 hours time taken 79:21

Total climbing - 11847m (38868ft)

Time spent eating & resting at control – 14 hours

Time resting outside controls - 5 hours

Time sleeping - 9 hours

This amounts to an average cycling speed of 14.5 miles/hour for 750 miles

The only person from Scotland to complete the ride this year.

Link to route - ride with gps https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14247577  you will be able to take in some of the views from this.

Link to Photos of the ride -https://www.flickr.com/photos/bcrandonneurs/collections/72157669924300953/

Another long ride under the belt & what a time I had flying the flag for Johnstone Wheelers in Canada. You also have to thank British Columbia Randonneurs Cycling Club, Canada for organising this great ride & all the people that helped to make one of my lifetime memories. It was made all the better for overcoming being sick with a bug the week before & Richard sorting me out with the saddle. What memories.

Campbell

Ps Some inspirational thoughts

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

&

IF

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream–and not make dreams your master,
If you can think–and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ‘em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!â€

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings–nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And–which is more–you’ll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling