Allerthorpe Classic Tri 7th Aug 16

Mark O

So, I had dipped my toe into this triathalon malarky in June, with a sprint distance event. This was a benchmark and taster for an olympic distance event (1500m swim, 40k (25mile) bike ride and a 10K run) I had been talked into by Heather. It is now done and here is the report.

The scores on the doors are

Total gun time 2:40:48

Splits

Swim 00:25:34 

Ride 01:10:55

Run 01:00:37

Transitions were 2mins+ and 1Min+ respectively.

No details as to how I compare within my age category as yet.

My time puts me in 137th spot and in the top half of the field.Pretty happy with all of that tbh, given that I had never done a tri of this distance and this was my second attempt at the sport and there were some real proper classy athletes taking part. This seems to be quite a notable event on the Tri calendar, with a big club turnout. So onto thoughts and comments

My plan was to swim within myself so as not to be knackered leaving the water and suffer from dead legs. I had a target time of 27-29 mins based on training swims over a 1400 m course. Really please with my time for this element as I didn't push it to hard and there was the usual kicking and punching scrum at the start. I soon got out of that and into fairly clear water, except for one girl who clearly fancied me in my wet suit and fetching cap and kept swimming all over me - bonkers!!! Came out the swim well place and feeling good.

Stage 2, the cycle. The aim was to ride at 20mph average in order to keep something in the legs for the run. A time of 1 hr 15 mins or thereabouts was in my mind. The course is a circuit and pancake flat. It is however very exposed!! It was hell. Wind speed was 20mph on the day and the initial 6 miles of the course was arrow straight, head on into that wind. The remainder of the route is a zigzag of lanes which never offered much of a tail wind to compensate for the initial effort, often appearing to double back into the wind. To add insult to injury the last 2 miles or so was back to transition were into the head wind. I spent the whole ride fighting the bike, trying to find an aero position (riding old school I'm afraid) and ride as smoothly as possible, mind full of the run still to come. At one point I did think of the DA boys, if it was windy where I was on a flat course, what had Arran been like???? My Garmin packed up early on and I rode on feel. What seemed to be loads of riders did pass me - all on tt bikes.......and some in a nice chain of 6 enjoying the draft. Sorely tempted to jump that last wheel!!! My time shows I did far better than I intended doing or thought I was going to do. Never have I been so glad to get off a bike and go for a run......or so I thought! Looking back I am more than happy with the time and ave speed (21.2 mph), but I paid for it later. It was a brutal ride due to the wind and it seemed relentless. It was the big talking point of the day.

Before saying any more the 10Km run turned out to be 10.7kms. I am therefore claiming a sub 1 hour run and unofficially knocking 4 mins off my overall time. The switch from bike to run is unpleasant. I had worked out that running at Heather's pace for a Km or two lets my legs settle before picking up the pace. Before the middle of July I had never run 10K, ever. At Christmas, I would refuse to run the length of myself!! I still hate running but I was looking for a time of 55 mins based on training runs. Coming off the bike I did feel quite bloated from having dabbled with energy gels - these really don't agree with me! so running at an easier pace was continued until the 4 Km marker and a water stop. Feel more settled I sought to lengthen my stride and up the pace. At 5Km feeling relaxed and going well, Disaster. The cramp sniper bullseyed my right hamstring. Emergency stretching and massage required. My increased effort on the bike due to the windy conditions had come back to extract an untimely revenge. My race for a quick time was done and it was merely a matter of finishing the distance, which if I'm honest was the original goal. I was restricted to my original 'off the bike' pace. Anything more would result in further cramping. Slightly disappointed with my run time but more disappointed at the fact I cramped up. I did nonetheless keep going and finish the run. I didn't exactly sprint over the line but didn't limp over it either.  

Overall, I'm more than happy with my performance in my initial foray into this world of madness at this distance, particularly as I was doing this more in support of Heather rather than me be uber dilligent with my training and looking to smash it. I had concentrated most of my efforts in training to actually be able to run 10Km and be in a position to get out of the water reasonably fresh. As a result I didn't do anywhere near enough specific cycling training or hard training efforts at my full capacity. I had been relying on the training I did  for Spain seeing me through. Definitely room for improvement in this respect

Learned a few lessons along the way. Kick and punch back in the swim scrum - take no prisoners. It appears the law doesn't apply and murder by drowning is permissible. Ride your tt bike! Draft at all times if you think you can get away with it. Listen to your body in terms of what it likes/doesn't like in the way of liquids and food. Do more runs at my race pace after a hard bike ride.  Being a total skinny is not to one's advantage in this sport.

All in all another interesting experience and personal challenge. Could I have done better or gone faster? On the day I doubt it, taking the wind into account. I do think I could shave a whole lot of time off this bench mark. Could I have trained harder for it? No doubt I could have, but that wasn't necessarily the priority or point this time. Will I do more......we'll see. 

M

Might be a few more sprint and olympic Tris before thinking about those distances, if at all, Charlie.

The running is my nadir, it's boring and kills the knees. I don't know if I could do the necessary miles in training without losing my mind. Would need a training partner at the same level as myself in terms of pace and endurance to start with.

Looking at the splits of the seasoned tri clubbers clocking 10 - 15 minutes quicker than my time, I was ahead or on par with most of them after the cycling only to see 45-50 min runs being posted in comparison to my hour. Seems that most come from a running background. The swim was actually my strongest section, which is equally surprising and encouraging. On the bike ride I'll have conceded 2 -3 mins due to the lack of aero bars; perhaps even more accounting for the tough wind. 

On wards and upwards, and no I'm not lost to the world of cycling - potential sewing bee next Tuesday. When's the marathon and how goes the training?

M