Sunday 31st July - Arran

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm planning ahead a bit, but am keen to go and enjoy the delights of Arran before the end of the season.

It will be a full day out, getting the 09:45 ferry out and the 16:40 back.  Both these link to trains for anyone who doesn't want to cycle both ways and it gives us 6 hrs on the island which should be enough to do the 55 miles and have a lunch stop.  If we were to miss the 16:40 return ferry there is a contingency 19:40 ferry which is also met by a train so there's not much chance of being stranded!

Miller Street to the ferry is 26 miles, so that makes 107 miles in total for anyone choosing to do the whole route.

Meeting at Miller St. at 07:30 should give us time to get the ferry, with an expected return time about 19:30 if cycling back.

The ferry train leaves Johnstone at 08:54, returning at 18:28, so a bit more time in bed for anyone looking to save their energy for the island.

Anyone like to join in, either for the full version or just the island?

Note:- This trip should not be confused with any DA trips, it will not be a Team Time Trial, but there will be time to enjoy the views and the hospitality on offer on the island, as well as stopping for a few minor mechanicals should they occur!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Can't make it that weekend :-( It is also scheduled for the the day after the big trip up North also posted on the forum-does that cause an issue for anyone?

Hi Karen, I'd not realized it was the same weekend as Bealach na Bà.  I've been put off that trip by the midges and all the driving, but if it causes a conflict for others we could look at alternative dates for this one.

• 2023 Subscriptions

https://www.calmac.co.uk/faqs/planning/arran-cycling-information 

Here is the link to Calmac recommended advice for groups of cyclists travelling by ferry at busier times, i.e. weekends.

They cannot guarantee places if busy, so probably best to arrive at Ardrossan in good time to join the queue.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi folks. I'm keen to join in on this run, however, I'm a wee bit concerned about the pace. My legs are only small and not very fast. I'd hate to be left at the ferry terminal. 😳😳

I don't think you've anything to worry about Morna, based on your Rapha run the other week I don't think many of us will be waiting for you!  

I think Carol and Dave are planning to get the train so you'll have company for that, and have fresh legs for the island when some of us will already have the edge taken off our energy!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Graham

What time will you be passing through BOW, Sunday Morning?

I'll meet you there rather than head to Miller Street, 7:30 is a bit too early :)

Andy, We'll be going through Lochwinnoch and Kilbirnie on the way to the ferry, not BoW (though I'll be going through at about 07:10 on the way to Miller St.).  You could save a few minutes by coming over the leather works road and joining us on the track at Kilbarchan if you like, I expect to be there about 07:40.

I see there are others planning to join us at Lochwinnoch, I estimate 07:55 there.

I plan to go on the track to Kilburnie, then on the B780 through Dalry and stay on the B780 over the hill into Ardrossan.

Also, I spoke to CalMac today about space on the ferry.  The nice lady just said turn up in good time and hope there's space!  So it looks like that's what we'll need to do, but she didn't anticipate any problem.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Graham. I intend to be at the annexe in the park at Lochwinnoch to meet you. If I'm not there don't wait. I'll either meet you guys at the ferry or not I'm recovering from grape lurgy and not going out. Cheers, Len

It will be good to see you, Len if you do make it - so long as the lurgy isn't infectious!