ivy RR

Alan Michael

Bummer....just purchased my racing license today as I was hoping to stop hiding and start racing! Defo up for the next race though. 

@Alan - keep me in mind for anything else you think could be suitable for me....Clearly I'm going to get spat out initially but need to start somewhere!

Here's my mobile number for future ref or if you ever need some company for ad-hoc rides 07428787129

Cheers P

Hi Paul,

I'd give it a go but I don't want to disturb the rhythm should I pop early on....and that is a real possibility given I'm struggling to maintain top-end speed when riding with you guys on Thursday evenings. If there is a way for me to politely fall away without causing too much hassle then I'd like to come along.  Thoughts?

Cheers P 

• 2023 Subscriptions

There is the Renfrewshire road race that the Couriers are running in July https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/142465/Renfrewshire-Road-Race

There was supposed to be a midweek race series in the summer but not sure what has happened to that - it is only the Glenmarnock Wheelers one on the calender(August) but there was meant to be a race next week and another 2 in July before that.

Perfect...Thanks Iain. It states it is £18 to enter the race. Is that the typical cost or do you get a discount if you have a Silver British cycling membership? If you don't know don't worry about it. Just looking to pay the correct amount as it mentioned something about discounts for Silver members. I'll dig into it a little more.

Thanks P

Ahhh forgot about the DA attempt. Iv entered the race. There are spaces left alex, if you email organisers you should get a start. This probably isn't the race to start out on paul, it's a 234. Jan's race would be ideal, best advice at the moment is to keep coming out in chain gang and getting used to the surges in power, your fitness is not a problem, the power should come with practice.

• 2023 Subscriptions

LA guns

If we go for the DA on Saturday the rules of engagement are a bit different from normal runs. It is a 112 mile challenge where the deal is not waiting for punctures or those dropped from pace line. The challenge is to try and get the team round 2 laps in 5.5 hours. So for example if I puncture after 25 miles I would take short cut across middle of island and rejoin to try and help team round second lap. The pace will be a bit less than Westferry on Thursday but significantly faster than bunch ride. The bigger difference compared to Thursday night is steady tempo up hills and stamina required. Hope that helps explain.

I will post up in DA forum to gauge appetite for this challenge on Saturday.

Cheers

Appreciate your thoughts and explanation. I think this time around I'll opt out. I need to work on building my tempo stamina and given that I don't have the benefit of a full winter's training this year I'm going to focus on building slowly and methodically. I think with the La Sufrida I was able to cope with the heat more than anything and this helped get me through it. It was a good feeling to perform better than I thought but the reality is that i'm not as strong as I would like to be.....It's going to be gradual improvements over time for me and I'm ok with that. 

Cheers

Paul  

Tough race, felt really good as i got a good warm up and the rolling start suited me but when we hit the breas it all kicked off, the bunch split and I ended up in a small group off the lead bunch, managed to get us back on for it to happen again 2nd time up the same hill, this time I was on my own but a fast decent and a good TT effort got me back in the bunch again. The final climb through Kippen was too much and I drifted backwards, I picked off other dropped rider's on the way to the line, i had to leave sharp so no idea where I finished as rider's got dropped on all of the climbs. Strangely i Really enjoyed it, Great riding, roads and scenery pity I can't climb.