Wanted: Campagnolo 11 speed lever(s)

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Folks

My lever is broken and so I'm still on the winter bike which itself has some v worn components. Lever is currently with Willie at Q bikes, but it is not certain that he can fix it before we go to Spain, if at all. So, as a plan B, does anyone have a RH (or a pair of) Campagnolo 11 speed lever(s) they would part with? Beer tokens waiting.

I have a plan C and D, but they are considerably more expensive and to be avoided if at all possible.

Thanks in advance

D

• Life Members

Ok. It was a long shot! Plan B = new group set. Shimano Ultegra. Will be fitting it myself so if anyone of you has done this before and has any observations to help, then fire away, please.

Oh no, Darryl, please don't do it! Once you cross the divide, there's no going back :-(

I think we should start a "petition" for Darryl to stay Campag :-)

Cheers

Chung

• 2024 Subscriptions

Too late Chung. I've just bought an Ultegra g/s, complete with dinner plate 32 tooth cassette. Just need to get the crank and bottom bracket off the old frame.

Will still have a Campag g/s once I get the lever repaired. Will probably sell though if Ultegra works out. Been on Campag for 35 years apart from a brief early Shimano touring experiment in biopace days.

I was impressed at LBL with the hire bike I had which was kitted out with Ultegra :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Also have all tools DArryl, and have fitted many if any help needed. The Shimano service instructions are pretty good. Would only caution that the latest front mech fitting appears very complicated with a little gauge plate allegedly required to determine cable entry position. Don' t fret, just fit it one way, if it does not seem good then other. Also the very smooth front shift works on high tension cable so best to hold in the mech a bit when you attach cable (I'll stop now, probably easier to just show you)

:)

• 2024 Subscriptions

For the time being I'll have dual membership - shimpag. It may turn out that my dalliance with Shimano is a mistake, I'll just have to see.

But comrades, rest assured that I do realise the seriousness of this issue. I have not taken this course of action lightly ;)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Daryl

I too are in that horrible place between quality Italian components and cheaper mass produced tat

However after many sessions I have decided to fully realign and new bike will be Campag, plus going to Rome next week to ask for forgiveness

Nowt wrong with shim. Italian quality is limited to wine, cheese, coffee and food in general. Football now and then. And perhaps fashion/style but I'm no expert. Their technological brilliance died with the empire around 300 AD or thereabouts.

As for mass production cheap tat, I think you'll find Compag is not a cottage industry. Prejudicial slips showing Me thinks.

PS it is Darryl's compag shifter that's gub. No mention of a gubbed shim shifter. Oops! Mere detail I'm sure. Lol.

• 2024 Subscriptions

Well I make no claims one way or the other as to which is 'best'. But the slick shifting and value for money that you seem to get with Shimano is hard to ignore. Not to mention the 32 on the back for La Sufrida (only to be used as a last resort if course) :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Mark

I will refer you to two business reports recently published both showing a downward trend on Shimano and SRAM , which resulted in both reducing there prices to try and increase sales.

Campagnolo have not reduced price or had such a sharp fall , second point shamal Millie ultra wheels maybe the best value light alloy wheel on the market , improved braking due to spiral braking surface and special break blocks nearest in weight is mavic costing 1400 .

Lightest electronic group set campag , what do you get on classic bikes campag what does every Shimano owner aspire to Campag super record.

Plus I have both

• Life Members

Well I make no claims one way or the other as to which is 'best'. But the slick shifting and value for money that you seem to get with Shimano is hard to ignore. Not to mention the 32 on the back for La Sufrida (only to be used as a last resort if course) :)

Darryl,

Campagnolo have released a new grouppo called Potenza (Italian for power) & it does a long rear mech for its 32 sprocket too :-)

Maybe you could get a refund for your Ultegra group-san? :-)

(Only problem is, it won't be available till June/July)

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/182759-campagnolo-unveils-new-potenza-groupset-first-ride

Chung

• Life Members

There's actually a fourth electronic group set out now - ROTOR (they used to just make crank sets & rings) have made a group set called "Uno" & it uses hydraulic technologies for changing gears & brakes :-0

We're so spoiled for choice :-)

• 2024 Subscriptions

Well if it's coffee table criteria then that's a whole different ball game. Perhaps that's kinda the point. Campag is all about overpriced stuff that looks good but doesn't bear too much critical scrutiny - just like coffee table books.

Well it's a point of view :) *stands back after lighting the blue touch paper*