LA MARMOTTE 2017

George

• 2023 Subscriptions

Myself & Billy plan to do this next year.

No date as yet but usually early July. Would be away 3-4 days.

Thinking of booking through Sports Tours International to a)ensure entry b)avoid any faffing about or logistics problems.

Just a matter of flying to Geneva with BA & they pick you up.

Of course you can book up your own way if you want to save a few quid.

Would be good to get a big group going.

Anyone else fancy it?

Please don't hijack this threads with other suggestions, even Arran related.

Website says 1st July 2017. A few brownie points to earn before I commit. Probably though. Some text...

For many sportive riders the Marmotte is the ultimate European sportive. Around 7,500 riders take part each year on the first Saturday in July, with the fastest riders completing in around 5 hours 45 minutes and the slowest taking anything up to 14 hours.

La Marmotte features three HC climbs over its 174km route and has a total of 5,180 metres of climbing, making it one of the toughest courses of any sportive in the world.

La Marmotte starts with a climbs of the Col du Glandon, which weighs in at 27.5km with an average gradient of 4.5% to a height of 1924 metres. From there you drop down (on a route so steep that it is not included in your overall time to try and stop riders from dangerously speeding) to the start of the Col du Telegraph.

That leads to the Col du Galibier, one of the most famous climbs in worldwide cycling. The Telegraph/Galibier combination is 35km of almost continuous climbing at an average gradient of 5.48% to a height of 2642 metres. Towards the top of the Galibier the gradient gets up to 15% and on a windy or cold day it is brutal.

There then follows a rapid 47km descent to Bourg d'Oisans and the start of a final ascent of the 21 hairpin bends of Alpe d'Huez. For all but the elite riders this is usually a major struggle as the sun will be baking in the early afternoon - the 2013 Marmotte saw riders experience 44 degrees centigrade heat on this climb.

Entries for La Marmotte 2017 are expected to go on sale in early November 2016. The date changes every year - as does the timing when it goes on sale - and we suggest you sign up to our newsletter which will alert you to when registration opens. Entries sell out very quickly - last year they sold out in just under 11 hours. Sportive.com alerted our newsletter subscribers within 30 minutes of entries going on sale...so do sign up and keep yourself informed about the Marmotte, Etape and other legendary sportives and gran fondos.

• 3 months later...

I might consider this, although the dates might prove tricky as a trip to le Tour is in the mix for next year.

Reading Alex's post, La Marmotte is shorter than La Sufrida and offers only a tiny bit more climbing - dunno what the fuss is about. I think this may constitute a retrograde step in my evolutionary path to cycling greatness.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I might consider this, although the dates might prove tricky as a trip to le Tour is in the mix for next year.

Reading Alex's post, La Marmotte is shorter than La Sufrida and offers only a tiny bit more climbing - dunno what the fuss is about. I think this may constitute a retrograde step in my evolutionary path to cycling greatness.

Stay aff the glue!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Fabian

You have hijacked next years trip. Just reading a book on The Spanish Civil War and a lot of the characters remind me of you.

Chas, my intentions are honourable, just trying to commit to something that will get my expanding behind (the cheeks could currently occupy seperate poscodes) back in the saddle.

Putting your nose out of joint is merely an added bonus.

My mole informs me you fancy Milan San Remo? Fill your boots but I'd rather conquer some iconic Tour climbs, The Glandon, Telegraphe and Alpe d'Huez. The stuff of legend.

I don't know if we would be better to go with a tour company just to guarantee entry though.

Of course I'm open to alternative suggestions before I decide where the club is going next year....

Liked the look of Alex B's Austrian Escapade too. 

As for the Spanish Civil War reference, you are clearly referencing  Errol Flynn's involvement in that spat.  He does remind me of me. Especially in those britches and boots he cut about in :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

For anyone interested in doing this event:

Billy and I entered through Sports Tours international and are staying at Hotel Alpe Azur on Alpe d'Huez 30/06/17-03/07/17 (provisionally, it may be the following weekend)

I booked through them as they guarantee entry although they are ripping it a tad by charging £120 per entry. I only did this as entries by any other route are like gold dust. 

Would be good to see a large JWCC contingent there, if only to give my ears a rest from Billy's patter....

• 2023 Subscriptions

George what was the costs doing it this way?

Hi Iain, cost of hotel and entry was £440.

You can pay half as deposit and the balance by April 2017.

They run an airport transfer for £100 but this seems quite steep and the times might not suit flights so think we will hire a car or a van if enough folk go.

I did look at AirBnB for accomodation and there are lots on the Alpe but some ask for a minimum 7 day stay. As I said, the main issue for me was ensuring entry. 

BA fly to Geneva from Glasgow, think it's £230 with bike.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.