Hello Everyone

AndyM

Prospective member here.

I live in Bridge Of Weir.

I used to participate in Triathlons, but I had to give that up about 8 - 10 years ago due to Knee Injuries,  in my early 50's now.

The only cycling I have done in 10 years has been in the gym, spinning etc.

I have just ordered a new road Bike and aim to get back into cycling, my aim is to compete again.

I'll be looking to cycle with the 30 milers eventually, I need to build up my fitness for cycling outside first.

I have never cycled in a group so will need some advice on that, I used to train on my own, and In Tri's you never really get bunched up, once out the pool.

With regard to licences I see the provisional licence comes free with Silver and Bronze membership of UK cycling, would that be sufficient for the start ? Any advice on pure Cycling training etc welcome.

Any training routes you use would also be welcome.

Hi Andy,

Loads of good routes around Bridge of Weir. My favourites include the West Glen or Gleddoch climbs heading from the Houston side to Kilmacolm, then Auchentiber Rd and out towads Lochwinnoch. All pretty quiet roads.

Three bunches to choose from on Sunday. 30 milers is worth giving a shot to at least get a view on where you are fitness wise. There was also a beginners session each Wednesday evening last summer which will hopefully start up again when the evenings get lighter.

I'm not sure about BC licenses, but someone will be able to advise.

You'll soon pick up bunch riding skills in one of the groups, but worth asking before you head off in one and you'll get told of the various warning shouts and how to keep it smooth and safe.

Hope to see you as a member soon.

Cheers, Alex

• 2023 Subscriptions

Welcome to the club

Bronze membership (or the 'Ride' level) will be suitable - you dont need Silver or Gold unless you want to enter road races. Actually you dont need Bronze or Ride to be member of the club and participate in club runs although personally id recommend it for the benefits like the liability insurance plus discount in Evans, Chain Reaction and Halfords.

There is sometimes a discount code to get the Bronze membership for half price

• 2023 Subscriptions

Andy

If you don't think you will be gaining points the provisional will do for most Road Races bar nationals ( I think)

For Time trials I think most open races accept provisionals

Some races are TLI where if your not a member you can get a day licence usually an extra 5/10 pounds

As you get a provisional free start with that and if there are issues upgrade

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Andy, keep an eye on the forum for the reliability runs, starting next month. These would give you a good introduction to bunch riding in a sort of structured setup, and are social occasions as well.

Good morning & welcome Andy,

I am a relatively new member to the club also. After the reliability rides look out for the Wednesday night social rides as well as the 30 miler runs on a Sunday posted in club runs. These are a good place to start and all the members are happy to answer any questions you have both here on the forum and out on the rides.

The committe, working parties & development groups have been working on a welcome pack which should be ready soon which will give you some bunch riding info & will hopefully answer some of your questions.

Pm me for details on BC membership or email me on

[email protected]

Best regards,

Sans

Thanks for the advice guys.

Evening rides pretty much depend on timings, I work in Livingstone, so don't get home until 6:30 - 7PM.

As soon as I pick my bike up, which is dependent on cycle to work :icon_hee-haw, i'll be out and about, I plan on starting around 15 - 20 miles then pushing on.

Relatively fit, I am in the gym 5 - 6 times a week, and do interval training on the bike. I will need to push fitness on a bit.

Look forward to meeting you all

• 1 month later...

Went out on my 1st ride Sunday Bridge of Weir to Lochwinnoch and back along the cycle track.

According to google 20 miles , I had 1 stop at Castle Semple, took about 35 - 40 Minutes. What sort of Speed should I be doing before I can go out with the 30 miler, without holding anyone up?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Went out on my 1st ride Sunday Bridge of Weir to Lochwinnoch and back along the cycle track.

According to google 20 miles , I had 1 stop at Castle Semple, took about 35 - 40 Minutes. What sort of Speed should I be doing before I can go out with the 30 miler, without holding anyone up?

If the 35-40 minutes was for 20 miles it's team sky you need to be joining not us :)

Anyway you'll be fine, don't worry about holding up the group - everyone was a beginner at one point and the hardest bit is usually taking the first step.

Hello Andy,

I am sure you would be absolutely fine on a 30 miler run in the first instance.There's also the intermediate and longer/faster runs too. 

I have been made most welcome by all and not been made to feel that I am holding anyone up on the 30 miler runs.

They have also been known to stop for cake as well :-)

The best thing to do is get out on a couple of runs and if you think this is for you then I can send you details on how to join the club.

One of the benefits of joining includes increasing your fitness levels. Having joined the beginner taster sessions last year, I was amazed when the co-ordinator, Mark, said I could be doing 30-60 miles easily by the end of the summer and now I agree with him! I am hoping these taster sessions runs will be available again this year.

Keep an eye out on the Bunch forum/webpage for up and coming runs or post up and see if anyone is going out on days and times that suit you.

Sans

• 4 months later...