Historical Frank Lauder 10TT Times

GrahamF

• 2023 Subscriptions
Whilst updating the club records with this years results I have taken the opportunity to plot the graph below of winning times for the clubs 10 mile TT for all the years where we have the information available (as recorded on the Frank Lauder Trophy).

As you can see there has been a significant improvement in times over the years, it looks like there were step changes in performance in 1952 and 2001.  I suspect 2001 may be related to the improved aerodynamics with the introduction of Tribars (first used in the Tour de France in 1989).  I expected to see some improvement when the West Ferry course was adopted, it was built in the mid 1970s, but does anyone know when we started using it, or where the event was held before then?

• Members

Frank Lauder memorial was run on the Beith road . Started at bench outside Bird in Hand Hotel ( inscription reads rest and be thankful)  went out through Howwood to turn at roundabout at Lochwinnoch road end . Retraced to finish back at start. A hilly course which was won regularly in 70s with a low 23 or odd high 22. This course and Lugton course were the standard in 60s-70s and was used a few times in 80s . The bypass made it a right turn back into howwood and this was the end of the course , it started to go out of favour when pedestrian crossing was installed at High school but was used with a marshall for memorial event . Frank Lauder was killed riding course when he collided with a milk tanker ( 50s or early 60s ) and memorial trophy was made in his honour .

Kenny MacD

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Kenny,

I've come across this piece on the club site written by Joe Brunetti (another name we remember with a trophy!):

"There was one fatal accident in the Club when Frank Lauder was killed.  He had just started a 10-mile time trial at the Bird in Hand Hotel, when he collided with a milk lorry which had come out of the road from the quarry.  This happened in 1934."

The rest of the article gives an insight into the club around that time and make a good read, here is a link to it:  

Out and Back a Wee Bit - and Up and Down a Wee Bit, Too!,  by Joe Brunetti