19/11/2015 Farmwatch Thursday

Tony

Night ride on minor roads at a fairly pedestrian pace, mainly to get some miles in. Just wondering if anyone else would like to come along.

Here is the route:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11108168

..it's 25 miles, mainly on c-roads, quite hilly. Be aware that there will be a lot of wet leaves and some gravel on the roads.

The plan is to leave Miller St at 1830 and be back between 2030 and 2100.

You will need good lights and the front one needs to be powerful enough to light up the road. Also bear in mind what I have said about leaves and gravel - these and other small obstacles are harder to see at night even with a powerful headlamp.

Awesome ride last night...I was expecting to encounter some flooding but just found a few big puddles, nothing major. The roads were as quiet as the grave, didn't see a single car until I joined the B776 (Bowfield road).

It's hard to describe how beautiful Lochwinnoch looked from the top of the golf course road. A carpet of  orange pinpricks twinkling behind a curtain of soft drizzle, like the campfires of a small army occupying the hillside above the loch.

Night riding is great!

Yes on both counts Ian. My "winter" bike is a Surly 1x1 (i.e. an MTB). My front light is a Busch & Muller IQ Fly. B&M measure the output in lux and I'm not sure how to convert that to lumens but based on other lights I've used, I would say 500 lumens would be a good ballpark figure...it's not bright enough for riding off-road but more than adequate for any kind of tarmac.