Drum up

Alan Michael

Great day out in fine company from many clubs!  Thanks to Geoff and Ian L (fire setter superb!)

Fine JWCC representation and a sighting of Jamie McGahan (Glasgow Wheelers) standing quietly at the back of the fire! ( give it a Google or check out GWCC Hall of Fame).

Iain

Great day and particularly happy that my sausages on the fire. Top marks to Gérard for best kit and accessories (chung will probably be surfing the Web for a full carbon set of rapha accessories as we speak 😉) drum up is an event you must experience, stories from old racers, good crack and hospitality, and best of all sausages by a bon fire. Oh and a dram or two 😉

• Life Members

Well, that was a fantastic day on the bike indeed!

Iain Cowden, Ronnie Chard & myself arrived in Gourock with loads of time to spare, so a wee visit to "The Continental" was called for for some coffee & hot chocolate.

9.15am sitting in a cafe while out on the bike was definitely a new one for me. :-)

The 10am ferry to Dunoon had bikes outnumber cars on board was a real sight!

Most of us went over the Ardentinnay climb (nasty) while the "chief drum-up technical team" went straight to the site for some serious fire wood chopping for us to enjoy as soon as we arrived! Big thanks to Linda, Geoff Smith, Iain Lochrane & others for doing that!

10 Wheelers had various degree of drum up "preperations", from only just a couple of gels?????? to bags of sausage & whiskey etc. but Gerard wins it hands down with a coffee pot, gas stove dangling from his bike & SAUCES for the sausages. Man, I thought I was prepared, but he is a professional Chef after all :-)

Seeing Alan McBride & Iain67 "passionately & expertly" going about first heating up & then grilling their sausages was a real treat, I even got to taste some too, magic! Thanks & Well done, guys!

It was even better than last year in terms of food & weather, I think we should do this more often :-)

The cycle back to the ferry was punctured by Alan's second mechanical of the day, but we still made it in time for the 2pm ferry back to the mainland. By the time I got home with Iain Cowden, I had 148km on the clock, tired & smelling like a smoked sausage :-) but really happy to spent the day with my fellow cyclist - young & old doing things more than just cycling. It was a great experience (I believe) unique to Scotland! And long it may continue!

Thanks again to Linda & Geoff Smith of Velo Preda & Iain Lochrane for the invite & organisation of the drum up!

Cheers

Chung

• Members

well said Chung, was indeed a good day out and brilliant to see a real mixed bag of cyclists and ages. Agree Gerard wins the most prepared cyclist cook award, but Iain Cowdens liquid refreshment came a close second.

Hopefully we can maybe arrange a spring drum up, as agree a good idea to have more than one per year. Thanks again to Alan McBride for posting this up