Ivy Auld Yins and ladies

Colin McPhee

Recovering from a bit of flu so was touch and go for the race. However started ok and put in a few digs to see if the legs were ok. Realised that I wasn't quite getting the response from them that I normally do so realised it could be a bit tough. There were quite a few riders who I've not raced with this season and some strange tactics to say the least (there was a crash in the neutralised zone !)Probably the mash up with the lades a few of whom were elite was the reason for this. Spent quite a bit of time at the front but it was to cost me later or maybe the legs just weren't there today. The pace up the mini braes was fine and felt ok. However the bunch split on the ascent back towards Port of Mentieth and A group got away. A number of other riders caught me up and I decided to sit in with them and for a while the group worked well and got us withinm touching distance of the lead group. However it was at this juncture that some members of the group didn't seem to work and the pace dropped when a small increase may have seen us rejoin ! Anyhow some through and off and people telling me to slow it on the front when I could tell that the pace was dropping and the rest of the race was like a club run for all in the group. Didn't catch sight of Charlie again after our brief chat at the start but chapeau anyway. The course was definitely harder with the two climbs. good fun anyeay !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done Colin. I was at front for a while and even saw You lead the bunch I remembered from past years that when u turn left to thorn hill there is a crosswind and bunch can split so I moved up nearer the front. I noticed a group of 3 had broken away just before thorn hill and I was intent ion staying with bunch to top of climb as I knew it tailed off after that. I was still in bunch at top but instead of turning left as in previous years we went straight on ( road works. ) & there was considerably more climbing ahead . My heart rate hit 177 and then had system shut down. Other riders cruised past me and I was later joined by David Lang of Glasgow Wheelers. I gave the shorter lap a bye as I was well scunnered.

If I had checked the revised route I would have given this race a miss as the climbs are just too tough for fat boys

Now in my bed shivering so McPhee u better not have given me your flu.

Better get my training programme sorted for next year as I am running out of years or I thought I was till I spoke to Billy McMillan (who is 68)also cut his race short. He told me he just didn't have the legs today.

No excuses need to be more focused