Scottish National 100

Richard

Thanks for this Richard - more epic stuff from Mike!   Ohyadancer! Proof, not that it's needed, that Mike is the real deal - a true tester, while some of us just play at it!  

He is not without previous heroics in this event.  Last year we both rode the national 100 on the Alness course.  I caught Mike for 2 minutes after about 17 miles - this is not in the normal scheme of things. As the race wore on, Mike continued to lose ground and it was clear something wasn't right. By the end Mike was miles down on his best and normal expectations.  Typically he even refused the offer of a lift back to the strip after the finish.  At the presentation and cup of tea afterwards, he did eventually concede that he had been having some discomfort throughout from his hip (the pronounced limp being something of a giveaway!).  By the time the presentation was over, Mike could barely walk to the car. He had clearly been in real pain throughout, delivering a hugely brave and combative performance  - for me the ride of the day, by a mile.  In his position I would have climbed off hours earlier.

Happily, the problem stemmed form an ill-suited new saddle, which was promptly sold and normal service quickly resumed!

Iain

• 2 weeks later...