Beginner cyclist

Morna

Simple answer is yes just keep an eye on the thread and post on the run you would like to go on

After trying the rides 3 times you are expected to decide whether or not you want to join

• 2023 Subscriptions

It will be good to see you out on some club runs, but be aware that there may not be a 30 miler run on 6th Sept. as the club is hosting an open time trail that day (the Sam Dooley 25 mile TT), and most of the available members are likely to be helping with it.

Things coming up that you may like to get involved with include:

• Tues. 25/8  A 7 mile club time trail on Georgetown Road between Inchinnan and Houston.  Potential members are welcome, there are usually some 30 milers taking part and it's only as serious as you want it to be!
  • Sat.   29/8  A 10 mile hill club time trial starting at Langbank
  • Wednesday evenings  - there is often a social ride, watch out for postings

6th of Sept is also Pedal for Scotland. Getting free admission through work. Just got email confirming this morning. Crazily signed up for the 110, it might take me all day.......

May I ask, due to lack of cycling knowledge, what kind of pace would a 7 mile time trial sit at? And a 10 mile hill climb. I might get left at the bottom :-) I do enjoy hills but fear this may be way out of my league.

Keen to build my endurance and cornering skills. I'm terrible.... Very much a beginner.

• Administrators

It doesn't matter how long it takes to complete the 7 mile TT, everyone is different.  Really fast riders would complete it in 16 mins, the first time I ever tried this it took me 27 mins. The hilly TT is not uphill all the way, it flattens out, prob about 40mins to complete.  For both events riders set off at 1 min intervals.

• Life Members

Hello Morna,

Welcome to the club & hope to see you out soon!

If you're mad enough to do the PFS 110mile sportive, then I'm sure you'll be just fine riding in a bunch :-)

Just keep an eye on the bunch as the folks above mentioned & see what you fancy. It's alway good to post up to say you intend on coming out to let folks look out for you. You'll be looked after by the guys & gals on the run that's for sure.

Anyway, good luck in your PFS & see you on the road!

Cheers

Chung

Many thanks for all info. Looking forward to joining in very soon.

I think I may just be slightly mad to sign up for the 110, but I'm going to do it. Even if it takes me all day. I do enjoy cycling with others, it's much more fun. Will definitely post what I intend on coming along to, be great to get the support from other riders. Fed up just toddling about on my bike, be great to learn how to do it properly.

Hi Morna,

I'm sure you will have no trouble finding a run to suit.

I am a new member of JWCC and also new to road cycling.

Everyone I have met so far has been very friendly and helpful and a great team effort on the 30 miler run on Sunday there in the wind. Was a great run in the sunshine though.

Hopefully there will be a few out for a social run tomorrow if that interests you also.

Best regards,

SansC

Hello there. Thank you for your reassuring message. I will attend the social run next Wednesday if that's an option? Where does this meet? Looking forward to meeting like minded folks. Most of my friends think my road bike looks like a torture machine!

Hello Sans. I will watch out for posts re next Wednesday. What is the general opinion within cycling re Spin classes? Feel like I can cycle

30 - 50 miles but a 45 minute spin class kills my thighs for days afterwards. Might be best to stick to the road I think!

Morna