2016 Alps/Pyrenees

al yuille

Italy in june. We can expect amazibg weather right? Eh....

"The summit of the Stelvio will be cold, the descent even colder. It is strongly recommended that participants bring a full set of winter cycling clothing – warm jacket, bib-tights, warm gloves and overshoes. You can put these items in your clothing bag, along with any other articles you may need. This bag will be supplied when you register together with a race number sticker that you will have to attach to the bag. The clothing bags will be collected at the start and transported to the finish where they will be safely stored until your arrival. Some hotels in Bormio provide a collection service for the clothing bags the night before the Granfondo."

Alan mcbride, this is a super early warning!

Also, people mean prizes:

"There will be individual awards with prizes for the top 3 MEN and WOMEN of each route + awards drawn among all participants + special prizes + team awards, with the SUPER-prize going to the biggest team (in case of equality of members will win the team who comes from the greater distance)."

I've pics of me and my mates sitting on motorbikes atop a mountain pass near Bormio, with folk wading through snow carrying snow boards beside us. I tried to smile in the pic, but the terror was showing through. May and June is still very changeable up high.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Looks like its open debate until September at which time we need to put our cards on the table. So here is another interesting option, End May timeframe, > 5000m climbing, and the interesting bit is the weather - if you are at a stage in life where you want pretty much guaranteed sunshine then this could be it.

http://www.lasufrida.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/CYCLIST-MAGAZINE-PAIN-IN-SPAIN-LA-SUFRIDA2014.pdf

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just sayin like, but if anyone is following the Vuelta then I can vouch that the roads of the past few days are exactly what you would encounter at lasufrida sportive. If you want to do any more homework for next year then check out the next 2 stages of the Vuelta, Sunday in particular goes through my home from home town that I am always banging on about, Moraira.

#nopotholeshere

#cyclingheavenonearth

#sunsunsun

Catching up on this thread after hols. From the chat at the BB, high passes in June are a bit suspect viz a viz conditions. I'm kind of with Paul on the requirement for sun while riding on the continent where at all possible (monuments excluded due to northern lattitudes). Happy to head for Spain for a week in the sun. Would even consider a Majorca return around May time.  

• 2024 Subscriptions

This is the sportive that Paul mentioned. The name says it all! Surely that will be tough enough for any of us, with the added bonus of good weather.

La Sufrida (The Suffering) 30th May 2015

One of southern Spain's best sportives. 193km or 125km around the stunning Ronda area. With over 5000 mts of climbing in the longer event this is a great test. The race is timed with chips and has plenty of food stops, and a great goodie bag.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Can see a healthy drink fired debate coming on Friday night !

Just to thicken the plot, sportive taking in Stelvio and Mortirolo is 4000m climbing. Lasufrida is 5000m.

Logistics wise Espana has multiple daily flights making it a lot more flexible. And it has sun. And it is the closest thing to heaven blah blah blah,

Guess where my vote is going.