2016 Alps/Pyrenees

al yuille

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'll put my name down first then. For 4-5 days in Northern Italy to include the humdinger of a sportive on the Sunday. I would aim to go Thursday early, get a short ride in, then ride Fri, easier cake and coffee run Saturday, sportive Sunday, home Monday.

Anyone else want to commit and we can get on case of flights etc but not Charlie on accommodation duties, maybe not Alex either as he is other extreme :)

I hate hills but love Italy dilemma dilemma , think we could get something organised through jet two would like at least 5 days but likely to stay for a week but will go with the flow as I said about £220 with BA Glasgow Gatwick Gatwick Milan

So chalet prices for 5/7 people in summer £450 / 900 could get a couple of chalet type accommodation ,nothing Personal but keep Charlie and Alex away from the accommodation somewhere in the middle would be good

Difficult to get prices at the moment

Gents,

Liking the posts on this. Chalets would be a good idea to help manage the costs, and as Alan says open the trip up to as many as possible. From a quick look at the webpage link on Alex's post the chalets work out at around 100 Euros per week per person regardless of size. I think we should aim on the whole for a full week Monday to Monday if flights and accommodation arrangements permit. Paul your comment on a 5 day trip is duly noted and in no way dismissed, others might wish to take that option also and it would be open for consideration. 

I know these continental trips tend to be the preserve of the 'main bunchers' but I think it is worth stating that there is absolutely no reason why other club members can't get involved doing their own thing route/ride and sportive wise (short routes are available) as necessary and be part of the social/recovery aspect in the evenings.

A quick recap on numbers. Thus far we have Paul McD, Paul L, Alan McB, Alex, Charlie, Darryl and myself (7) with the unconfirmed/undecided as Billy and Robster (2). Not a bad initial core bunch. Anyone else interested?

To those who have already stated their interest and those who might still do so, could I suggest we make an initial cut off  for notes of interest by the end of September, after which we move to provisionally book agreed accommodation and then look in detail at potential flights and transfers. Also, as of Septemnber, can we have only one person posting on each piece of the jigsaw - accommodation, flights and sportive registration etc - as the threads on these trips get mighty confusing if everyone is chipping in with thoughts and ideas. We can have forum admin set up a sub folder in the forum at that time.

All good

M

Need to keep Charlie company so me as well , as posted earlier BA via London £220 including bike , note the cheaper airlines don't promote their summer schedule until November ish

Note 2 On official site medical certificates are required

Note 3 Milan nearest Italian Airport other option is Geneva

I'm loving the idea of this....might get me back on my bike!

Usual issues of getting off work and the fact the wee man would only be 11 months old!

I'm guessing we would be going solo as opposed to with a company like the one in Paul's link?

Must be cheaper?

Looks like the hardest part might be getting the 200 odd km from Milan to Bormio. Seems like you can get the train to Tirano which is half an hour

from Bormio or it's hire cars again?

Been in touch with someone who has done it and they reckon there should be plenty of empty chalets to pick from and getting a place wasn't a problem.
It's not heavily subscribed to like Letape etc.

Has anyone worked out a rough price yet? The dates that the tour company had of going on a Friday, fly home Monday would suit me with family etc.

And at least you've got me to get stuck into any required searching/planning etc. I do like that kind of thing! :)

Has anyone looked at the title of this thread ? I remember that no one ( P.McD excepted ) wanted to ride much before the NC. A week with no sportive means riding every day. Chalets a good idea. Chamonix valley only 1 hr transfer from Geneva, Easyjet from Edinburgh. La Chambre ,Ossians another hour. Plenty of companies dealing with cycling hols.

Riding Tour colls every day with few other riders, stopping for coffee, enjoying the views , taking a few photos or a one off head down, smashfest , dodging the crashes ( or not !) and no real idea where you went. Save it for Arran, much cheaper.

We seem to be rushing off at a tangent and when one person books up the rest will be scrabbling around a la Liege. 4/5 days just to ride the sportive is what we've done the last couple of years , I would rather spend more time riding. May be that a week is too much time for some so could be room for separate trips.

Al,

See my earlier post asking for notes of interest by end of Sept and suggesting we start booking accommodation and flights from there on in as a single body and not a collection of individuals - one appointed person per task. You're right we need to avoid the usual disorganised free for all.

I think from the reaction to Paul suggestion of a sportive trip the guys like these. It's a target to train for and event gives a trip abroad some legitimacy perhaps. Spot on with your a week too long for some and we need to cater as best we can for that and allow flexibility. Will still expect to see you at the start line to save me from the usual eyeballs out initial 30 km nonsense.

M