Etape du Tour 2015 Report

• 2023 Subscriptions
Etape du Tour 2015

A few wheelers asked me to write a report on my experience in the Etape, so here it goes... sorry if you get bored ;) but I'm sipping a beer in the sun with nothing better to do just now.

I was based in the small town of La Chambre about 8km from the start of the Etape. I went out for a quick spin the day before(nice and flat) an manage to drink two full bottles in less than an hour, it was going to be a very hot day.

The Start was fun 16,000 cyclist all in their Sunday best, I had manage to get there feeling fresh and  only managed to forget one thing “Sun block†I asked one of the Medics did he have any sun block, This sent him into fits of laughter and he had to call his co-worker over to repeat what I had just asked. The two of them had a real good laugh and took a  Selfie with me, good start ;) 

The route consisted of 4 categorised Climbs(Tomorrows stage of the Tour De France) and only 25km of flat,  as going up is my least favourite thing to do on a bike my plan was to just finish. We had a quick run to the start of the first climb Col du Chaussy 15.4km avg 6.3% I felt good going up, it was difficult with so many people going a different paces but it calmed down after a while. The heat was going to be a big factor of the day but I made sure I was drinking enough. Over the top we had a major pile up and were delayed while a the injured were airlifted out. This meant all the groups behind caught us and there was basically 10,000 people in one long line on the Col Du Chaussy. There was a lot of talk about being caught by the sweeper bus and being pulled of the course and people started running down the verges, was a bit crazy as the drop off's were huge. Once we go moving it was a slow descent to La Chambre.

At La Chambre I stopped and met the wife and kids at the food stop, had some photos I and was looking forward to the 25km of flat. The pace was slow around here, not sure why(maybe the fact the biggest climb of the day was next) why but I decided to press on. There was a sprint competition but I was pretty much on my own so decided just to roll through, but as I got closer to the Start I decided to give it a go(as you do). By the time I got to the foot of the Col du Glandon I was burning up and stopped to fill up my bottles. 

The Col du Glandon is 22.4km avg 7% and to be honest I underestimated how hard it would be, this is were I started to noticed lots of people walking and lying in the shade. It was at this point I added another goal, not to walk! Some of these guys were Skinnies!(panicked me abit) The first 15km was tough but manageable(My pace was very slow) but the last 5km(10%+) I was in a difficulty, cramp and just overheating. Luckily there were lots of spectators who came out with hoses and buckets of ice water, its amazing what a bucket of ice water over your face can do to motivate you. The amount of people walking and lying on the verges was hard to fathom, to be honest my speed on the bike was not much faster than the walkers... but I was still on my bike. At the top I took a long stop rehydrated and had some food(mini pizzas)(figs)(cola)(waffles)(salt biscuits)(raisins)(chocolate bars) Iain Coutie would have been proud of me. 

Next a climb to Criox de Fer it was about 3-4km but a nice wind and gradients weren't bad, the descents was incredible! I have never experience anything like it closed roads, not many cyclists around and long sweeping turns, cambered hairpins, worth climbing any mountain. The next climb was the smallest The Col du Mollard, a lot of people said this was a real hard climb, I have not recollection of this climb at all... The start of heat exhaustion??? I do however remember the descent this was my favourite part of the day, some French guy went zooming past me and I tried to stay with him, he either knew the descent or he was crazy, either way I was alike a big kid hurtling to my doom! Good fun :)

The last climb of the day La Toussuire 18km avg 6.1% This was the worse bit of the day for me the heat had really taken it out of me, I had nothing in my legs, this was the first time I had genuinely thought about stopping, lots of people around me were! lots of people walking and lying in the shade, the heat (to me)was unbearable, I cycled into the grass ion the side to unclip and start walking, but cycled straight back out, it was very close. My saving grace for the last 10kms were the family's and spectators who came out, kids wanting high fives and old couples with hoses and buckets of water. I basically focus on the next group of people up the road, high fiving the kids and slowing down to get soaked in water an stopping at every water stop, this distracted me and soon I could see the top. The run into La Toussuire was worth the ride hundreds of people along the barriers for the last 2km shouting and cheering, I even gave a little sprint for the line and soon after I hugging the elderly woman(to her surprise) giving out the medals. I  found a spot in the Grass with a bowl of pasta and a glass of wine! Now only a 20km descent and 10km ride home.... ah well

Overall I really enjoyed this event, I was pitifully under prepared to climb so much, but the organisation and encourage during the ride was brilliant and kept me going. I felt my pace on the hills was really slow but anytime I tried to increase I was just start to melt, When I found out nearly 6,000 people didn't finish I didn't feel so bad. I know a lot of wheelers have done the Etape and many return, I for one will be back! Lighter? Faster? …. Older 

Results:  16,000 starters 9,877 Finishers My Position 8,009

10H 9'23â€

Challenge King of the Mountain 

2h 30'58† Place 8706 out of 9,877 

Average speed 7.71 KM/H

Challenge King of Sprint

0'15†Place 104 out of 9877  Ohyadancer!

Average speed 60 KM/H

• Life Members

Well done Paul!

Fantastic to read your report, sounds like a super tough day what with the weather & climbs!

Good to have you back & more stories to tell when I see you then :-)

P.S Did the old lady you hugged look more surprise than Al when you punched him while on the bike??? ;-)

Cheers

Chung

• 2 weeks later...