Arran...Again

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Darryl & I on 1105 Ferry back to ardrossan. Can now say I am a member of Paul's 1 lap club though to be honest feel a bit of a fraud as got towed round whole way by my mighty 6 fellow cyclists who were very kind and slowed down when my heart was popping out my chest. Thanks guys much appreciated.good yuck with lap 2

• 2023 Subscriptions

That was really, really tough. The final stretch from Lochranza to Brodick was seriously difficult - im not sure what was worse the mile or so before the climb into a headwind knowing the climb was just ahead, the climb itself or into the wind to the ferry from Sannox Bay. Would never have made it without Ian doing some big turns on the front. He cycled down, and cycled home too so chapeau to him - i could barely drive home without cramping!

• Committee

Sorry to report that only Ian and Jan did the 56/50 mile double.

My legs stopped working at BWfoot on the second lap and I headed up the string only to be followed by Paul and Alan who had bailed out at the next junction.

Absolutely brilliant work by Ian and Jan, they had the nerve and the strength to keep on going and caught the approved ferry.

The maths is horrible, that's twice I have reached BWfoot with 50k to cover in 90 mins and chickened out.

I had the comedy pratfall. Fastest braking is to throw your gilet in the front brake. Instant somersault. No damage.

We had a very fast first lap even with my chute and one puncture. Should be able to set a course record with four or five wheelers next time.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Another splendid Arran adventure.

2 new inductees to the 56 loop Darryl and Charlie. First time it's been done with a puncture en route. And the Laurel and Hardy moment when Alan tested the braking power of a gilet in the front wheel, thankfully he is ok !

2 new inductees to the 56 plus 50 challenge, Jan and Ian.

Good bunch of 7 on loop 1 were fairly comfortable for the target ferry when with 10 miles to go QC Chas punctured. Resulted in a much harder effort to get Charlie and Darryl to complete the 56 challenge for the last 10 miles. This took its toll on me and the two Alan's as we dropped away at various points into lap 2. But we are made up for Charlie in particular who really ended himself to get the single ( think it was the thought of Billy having done it and he hadn't ). Darryl put in a lot of the work knowing he was heading back after the one lapper.

Jan and Ian put in a truly stonking performance to join the exclusive 56 plus 50 club.

Thanks for coming guys, I think the JWCC roll of honour now reads ( I was thinking about a scroll for the clubrooms )

Single lap hall of fame ( have I missed any )

Me, Alan McLean, Alan McBride, Mark O, Colin, Davie B, Fergus, Judas Toole, Darryl, Charlie, David Thompson, Billy, Jan, Ian Arch,

56 plus 50 Hall of Fame

Me, Jan, Ian.

Also Greg O and Andy Mullen from other clubs.

I hope this will motivate more people to want to join the Halls of Fame.

:)

No don't do it Paul as not being a hall of famer will eat away at George like a virus , soon he will be plotting all our downfalls , and scheming how he can join such an elite group

It will grow like a bum boil until and eventually he will pop

• Committee

Paul, that is a good summary.

These are excellent challenges. The greatest threat is only an enforced wait for the next ferry but there is a gnawing anxiety all the way round while recalculating timing, controlling the stronger riders, judging effort, eating, drinking and generally magnified sensations of the usual club ride.

I have failed twice at 56/50. It is clear I am always going to arrive at BWfoot with the prospect of a hard ride to get round the top and one day will just have to get on with it!

Looking forward to the first 56/56 but this will be exceptional.

• 2023 Subscriptions

No don't do it Paul as not being a hall of famer will eat away at George like a virus , soon he will be plotting all our downfalls , and scheming how he can join such an elite group

It will grow like a bum boil until and eventually he will pop

Nah. I'll just take it out on you :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Brodick to the exit of the Ross road going via the coast  v the same and going over the Ross - the difference is about 6 miles but timewise it was under 10 minutes. (18mph v less than 15mph)

Of course if we had gone the coast road for a second time then it would have been slower than the first time with fresh legs.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Andy, profuse apologies, you will of course be on the scroll.

George. I will if you will.

Alan, voice of reason, which I need in my life when I talk about my Arran obsession. You are eminently capable of doing the 56-50, if I can do it you can.

In terms of lessons learned from yesterday,

- if you are going for the double you really need to just go for the double. I am immensely proud of the team who capped the pace, pushed and cajoled Charlie to the single AND overcame a puncture to achieve that team goal. And Charlie more than anyone deserved it as he bust himself to make it even with the puncture.

- however to do the double requires greater strength and fitness than I possess ( which applied to Jan and Ian on Saturday ) or a very evenly matched team who work smooth and fast and cannot stop for anyone dropping off the pace or puncturing. That is what happened last year when I did it with Alan McB and 2 others, we literally did not miss a beat, did not miss a spell, did not hold back at any point and did not have any mechanicals for 90 miles. Very interestingly our average moving speed for lap 1 was marginally slower than Saturday suggesting we had a better pacing strategy. Alan cut off at the 90 mile point only because he was still relatively new to cycling.

- the single is of course a very normal and expected by-product of going for the double as the pacing means the first lap should achieve the one lap goal. However the effort required to overcome a puncture to achieve the one lapper is a step too far for mere mortals trying to achieve the 56-50. In a nutshell there is not time to stop for anyone on the 56-50.

In conclusion the goal has to be clear from the start. Either a full and committed team effort to get the one lap done for the full squadra. Or a full and committed effort to get the 56-50 done which unfortunately means no delays for mechanicals or anyone off the pace. Frankly both are great fun and a grand day oot.

Jan, do I detect from your post the embryo of a thought to go for the grande double ? A 56-56. From your data I think you are saying the effective time difference between the Ross route v Coast route might be around 12 mins ( 2nd lap ) for practical purposes. The average required for the Grande is 20.36mph for 112 miles. Cruising speed for you ! Average required for the 106 route is 19.27mph.

Are there any out there want to do either the single or double this year, I would be happy to get involved with either. But not next weekend as its my 25th wedding weekend away for me!

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jan, do I detect from your post the embryo of a thought to go for the grande double ? A 56-56. From your data I think you are saying the effective time difference between the Ross route v Coast route might be around 12 mins ( 2nd lap ) for practical purposes. The average required for the Grande is 20.36mph for 112 miles. Cruising speed for you ! Average required for the 106 route is 19.27mph.

I think i'm now suffering from the Arran madness too :)   One of the symptoms must be memory loss because im pretty sure i was just about ready to chuck cycling altogether going through Lochranza yesterday!

A grande double is a bit out of reach but not far enough out to put a dampener on it. Would probably need some super domestiques happy doing one lap as i'm not sure there is enough of the madness going round for there to be the numbers for everyone trying a double.