Arran...Again

P McDonald

• Committee

Jan/Paul, you've sucked me into strava nerderie. I count only 9 minutes slower round the bottom, could you have measured second lap from the start, instead of the end, of our short refuelling?

I wonder if the time saving over the Ross could be outweighed by the damage of the sustained climb, it is 9-10% for 3k and feels awful after the first 60 miles. Looking at OS maps the Ross is 285m climb plus another 30m after Glenree so at least 315m and no chance of drafting until the last 2k.

The crude height total round the bottom looks like <300m and there is a chance of a rest in the bunch in the flatter bits. Does Strava do cumulative heights? What's worse: one climb of 300m or 6 climbs of 50m?

In summary although Ross is shorter I think it might be more exhausting and it certainly really hammers morale and muscle for the last loop. If we did bottom loop twice we might arrive at BWfoot a few minutes down but much fresher and do better on the final segment and especially Lochranza climb. (not that I would know).

I would love to see Ian's power data; just how much effort did each route take?

In any event there is only one way to find out if the 56/56 is doable......

• Committee

PS  I am not sure that the Grande would count with super domestiques for first lap. Would the two lappers be allowed to hide from the wind? Paul will have to legislate on that one.

I also think strong sw wind is best to blow up exposed w coast and Lochranza climb with some protection on E coast; but Ross would be a pig in a strong sw.

Maybe I should stick to laps of Cumbrae....

• 2023 Subscriptions

Loving this debate....

Tried to check out cumulative vertical round the coast but mapmyride has a crazy glitch right on the South coast. But it looks like ascent metres are similar but much more broken up as Alan says.

I reckon Alan is on to something, the Ross ascent was about 17 mins from sea level which is a long time to have no drafting effect of any note. And the descent is pretty poor for getting any benefit from the height as it has multiple switch back corners.

The best solution is a NW wind so you can go anti clockwise and ascend the Ross long and steady.

Hmmm....

• 2024 Subscriptions

Think Alan and Jan might have a point there. How much time did Jan and Ian have to spare at the finish? You could add at least 5 mins for the puncture and also factor in the fact that they were only two, but with six or so it would probably be quicker. Would that compensate for the extra 6 miles? It might just.

Also, thoughts on a figure of eight challenge/ride?

My tuppence as not a climber two laps would be doable provided that you drag the diesels up the jagged bits of the road 7 plus through and off would keep your pace high enough on the flats to get 20 plus for 100 plus miles but you will need 7 plus for it

The diesels should slim down to racing snake proportions and do their equal share on the jaggy bits instead of getting a free ride round the bottom half of the island and and over the Lochranza bump, and then expect the skinniest to work just as hard on the flat too. Spoken like a true up hill wheel sucker Mac B