Arran...Again

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

You know I just can't stay away. Anyway, weekend of 8/9 Aug when everyone should be back from secret training on the continent, looking a bit bare. As Saturday has early ferry I propose 7am ferry for a SINGLE or DOUBLE loop. 1 or 2 x 50 mile circuits proposed with the circuit being the 50 mile loop over the Ross climb. So open to those who want to do single loop - 50 undulating miles at approx 19mph average or those who fancy the double loop which is 100 miles at 18.8mph average ( including a 5 min stop to refill bottles and pockets )

:)

Just not fit(well) enough for this at the moment so I'll excuse myself the pain and eventual indignation of getting shelled after the first climb - also I'm down south giving moral support to the tri-athelete.

Wee heads up on Arran guys. I was on the island yesterday (a very wet and miserable Monday) - work unfortunately - however the roads were packed. I have never seen the island as busy in all the years I have been going there. Seems the reduced ferry fares are attracting far more cars onto the island and the ferries have been fully booked of late - got refused passage due to ferry being full on Friday am last week. Arran may no longer be the relatively car free route it once was and judging from the poor standard of driving on display you'll need to have your spidey sense on full.

Good luck and heres to a few more entering the Arran hall of fame.

M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Well Saturday looks good for single and/or double. Sunday looks wet.

Clockwise direction with a healthy sou westerly forecast.

7am ferry. Personally I am up for a double if there are numbers. Which is 100 miles at hard work pace but not blow your socks off and expire. In which case I would be driving down and can take one or two others plus bikes if reqd.

who would be up for either single or double

• 2023 Subscriptions

Had a think and would prefer to ride down for the 7am ferry, do one lap, ferry back then a cafe (Al Yuille Basket) then ride home up the Haylie. 

Don't think we have the numbers for two laps.

note-Charlie-you may have to do a spell at some point. YES, I know you don't like it but you have to do it sometime and now is that time.

Billy, just be nice.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Spot on Jan, you could easily do one or two or even 1 and a half with short cut over string. So many options. Riding down one lap and driving down two laps are both fantastic days out.

I am really up for doing either. However one needs to make a decision so I think I will set out stall and say I will drive down and go for double if there is at least 2 others up for it. Lap 1 will need to be a bit faster for those who want to join the single lap hall of fame :) Will anyone see Greg OMalley or Iain Archibald as they might appreciate the opportunity?