Fred Whitton route ride (as club awayday)?

Darryl Gunson

• 2024 Subscriptions

Ok guys. With only 4 wanting to stay over, we should have a chat about what we all want to do. I'll be out tonight so we can have a word then, but my feeling is that if most want to come back up the road, then I'm inclined to do the same. But if we do not intend to stay, then we don't have to do the ride on Saturday. We could go first thing Sunday, and the roads would be quieter.

We could even postpone the whole thing to the following weekend, if that suits more people.

• 2023 Subscriptions

If no-one is staying over then how about starting and finishing somewhere in the northern section of the route? (i dont know the area very well so dont know where would be suitable).Overall the same route just a different start / finish and will cut down on the journey time somewhat.

Daryl,

Al spoke to me about this.

If it's still a day ride why not ride from the pub in Troutbeck; starts with a dual carriageway drag, through Keswick, has kirkstone as the last big one and a drag over 'whatever it's called edge'. Saves driving all the way into coniston thereby saving you 1/2. Hr or more driving each way at least. Maybe more?

I'm probably coming along with Al if the Tories of Englandshire haven't executed all the public service workers by then and sold off their teeth and hair. I hear they are opening a smelting plant in Renfrewshire for the fillings. Oh, and a rendering plant for Glasgow City...

• 2024 Subscriptions

Myself, Paul, Alex and Alan have expressed a preference for Sunday. For me it just means I can take the car and 4 people and 4 bikes.

So, the rest: George, Davie, Al, Martin, Jann, Billy

What is your preference?

Either way, start time of 8.30 sounds good at the troutbeck pub.

McG

I'll discuss with Al and Gerry tonight and post up.It's a long ride 110/112 miles - you are lucky if you average 14 mph if its a mixed group (these days I'd be lucky to make 14mph I think!) so that's 8 hours in the saddle an hour or more for breaks.The middle 40 miles took us almost 4 hours. Last time we did it was the same weekend in June, 5 degrees at Troutbeck at 8.30 and we got back to the car about 10 hours later. That's quite a late return for a Sunday