ChrisB

Hello all,

Chris here from Paisley, originally from Beith.

Last year done approx 1,000-1,500 miles on my hybrid and will soon (Tomorrow) be picking up my first road bike.

Interested in joining you guys but concerned I'm not fit enough - may try the next 30 miler that pops up.  Last year done the Pedal 4 Scotland 47 miler leaving from the house - total of around 58 miles and felt like I could have went on.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys and hopefully becoming a member of the club.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Welcome along :)

I'm currently along from Beith in Glengarnock. There are a few of us up this way so you should've joined sooner! :)

Glad you mentioned you were getting your first road bike ;)

Getting something nice? Has to be full carbon and full Super Record or Dura Ace if you want to fit in!!!

Ok...maybe not! :)

Keep an eye out on the club runs section as it'll give you an idea on who's going where. Most runs tend to be on Sunday morning from Miller St in Johnstone where the clubrooms are, just off the cycle track. As you've mentioned the 30 Milers I'm guessing you've looked at some of that already.

Each group tends to go further or faster than the last although the middle Intermediates group regularly go just as far as the Main Bunch rides.

The 30 Milers can be the best place to learn to ride in a group as well.

Most importantly, all the groups have a café stop!!!

See you soon

Hi Chris,

Nice to read your post. I was in your shoes just under a year ago and have found the club a most welcoming bunch and great company on the Sunday runs. Hope to see you out and about and in JWCC colours before too long!

Cheers,

Alex

Chris,

Firstly a very warm welcome. Based on your post you'll easily fit into the 30 milers and could even try an intermediate ride. The guys and girls will look after you. There will usually be someone from these groups heading out for a ride most sundays and the occasional saturday. Keep an eye on the club run section of the forum. As Alex alludes to in his post you'll come on leaps and bounds once you start riding in a group, both Iin terms of distance and speed.

With the lighter nights the confined events on the Georgetown Road run on a Tuesday evening.

Finally, and I can't believe no one asked, what bike did you choose?

Hope to see you out on the bike soon.

Mark

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I went for a refurbished Cube Peloton, a completely different feel to the my hybrid (Ridgeback Velocity).  I got it from Walkers in Kilmaurs, following some positive comments I came across here - I found them to be very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

I'll get some short runs in and see some of you guys at the next 30 miler. 

Cheers,

Chris.