BLackwood to Peebles and Back 100 Mile Run - 8th Edition

Dennis

8th Edition of the popular Blackwood to Peebles and Back 100 miler - Sunday 14th June 2015

Hi All,

Blackwood, Biggar, Meldons, Peebles (lunch at Scots Pine Café Eddleston or Glentress – any preferences?) Blackwood - Morag’s Café, Vere Road, Blackwood for grub afterwards, as usual. Starting at 9am sharp.

The bits in between have yet to be decided. Big hills? Maybe ayes, maybe naws.

In this run, the group traditionally keeps together (or tries to!) which allows a simple, enjoyable run for the ‘veterans of long runs’ and a safe haven for newbys who want to try riding a 100 miles.

As usual, Johnstone Wheelers are being cordially invited to join with me along with the Royal Albert CC.

More information nearer the time. Meantime, dig out the diary.

Hope to see a large contingent of the Wheelers!

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Hi Dennis - hope things are well with you!  Thanks as ever for this.  

I had delayed posting as I was unsure as to holiday plans ,but is now clear I will be away that week-end and unable to make it.  Real shame, as it is always a highlight of my cycling year!  

Hope the weather smiles on you all and have a great day!

Iain

Sunday 14th June – 8th Edition, Blackwood to Peebles & Back 100 mile run.

Meet Blackwood School car park, Southfield Road, Blackwood from 8.30am

Leaving at 9am sharp

Route – Blackwood, Auchenheath, Kirkfieldbank, the Gilchrist, Sandielands, Crookboat, Carmichael, Tinto, Thankerton, Biggar, Broughton, Dreva, Stobo, Meldons, Eddleston, Rosetta, Peebles, Glentress, Cardrona, Peebles, Cademuir, Manor Water, Lynn Station, Stobo, Drumelzier, Rachan Mill, Broughton, Kilbucho, Symington, Wiston, Rigside, Happendon, the new-old A74, Blackwood.

This route can be seen on http://gb.mapometer.com/  - login using my email [email protected] with password ‘peeblesrun’.

Grub laid on at Mo’s Café, 4 Vere Road, Blackwood, as soon as we get back.

Lunch – Peel Café, Glentress (50 miles into the run). I’ve never been there before, but Ian Broadhurst recommends it, so it must be good.

Optional coffee stops – Biggar (23 miles) on the way out and Broughton on the way back (72 miles). Decide on the day.

5 main climbs – the Gilchrist, Dreva, Meldons, Kilbucho & Wiston/Rigside.

In this run, the group traditionally keeps together which allows a simple, enjoyable run for the ‘veterans of long runs’ and a safe haven for newbys who want to try riding a 100 miles. The average speed will be 14/5mph.

We always try to help each other to get back feeling as fresh as the day we started - and know wot, it usually works!

As usual, Johnstone Wheelers are most welcome to join us.

The only charge for the day will be for what you buy at the café stops.

I have it on good authority that the weather will be good. It has to be, It’s June isn’t it?

Post here if you’re coming, and please remember that this is a social run, not a fast bunch with tails up. On that basis, the more the merrier!

• Life Members

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for posting/inviting us for the run, always a great ride no matter what the weather. The company, route, scenery & of course Morag's feast afterward are top notch!

All being well, I'll be coming for this one!

I'll confirm for sure near the time if that's ok, but highly likely to make it this year :-)

Cheers

Chung

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

For those who are able to come over on Sunday, it will be great to see you. Just to say, however, that there have been two changes that you should be aware of.

1. The departure time is now 8.30am, and you should aim to arrive at about 8am.

2. There has been a change to the route, which can be seen on http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4101431.html. The revised route involves fewer big climbs but is by no means flat!

The more the merrier!

Dennis

For info, big bunch so far of about 20 and a forecast of a wee bit of sun, no rain and a light wind. When did you last ride 100 miles in such a big bunch which will  stay together with the aim of everyone getting round and back to Mo's cafe at the same time?

It would be good to see some Johnstone jerseys floating through the Borders once more! :-)

Dennis

• Life Members

Hi Dennis,

Looks like a great day on the bike, I will come along with Chung and Campbell

Cheers

Paul

Will be there Dennis

Chaps, remember the earlier start 8.30am!

See youse there on Sunday with sun-cream & all! :-)

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

A wee report on todays Blackwood-Pebble adventure.

An early start today with 4 Wheelers - Al Yullie, Campbell, Paul Levy & myself joining 20 or so Royal Alberts & Lanarkshire riders venturing out on this 8th Edition of Dennis's now famous run.

It was not a good start to the ride as rain & wind had came on by the time we set off, the only comfort was that we were in a big bunch which meant better shelter & more bodies making turns at the front :-)

However, the weather got worst and by the time we got to Biggar (20ish miles into the ride) everyone was wet, cold & miserable. I never seem Al & Campbell looking so down right depressing before :-) At this point, almost every body decided it was enough and escaped into the café and called it a day (very understandable). But 7 of us (Dennis, 2 Alberts & us 4) decided to carry on (for me, reluctantly) after a wee café break.

Still wet & cold with only less than a third distance covered, I was not really looking forward to it at all. But Dennis's positive attitude & the fact that I didn't know where I was gave me no option but to continue, but I'm glad I did because the sun eventually decided to come out & reward us for our persistence. After our lunch stop at Glentress's impressive new café, we made good progress with great company & scenery to make up for the early foul weather. By the time we got back to base, I was actually feeling warm for the first time on the day :-)

Again, the standard of Café Morag at the finish was as high as ever, with constant flow of drinks, soup & bread, tea/coffee & cakes would give most Michelin star hotel a run for their money :-)

Thanks again Morag & Dennis for making us West Coast boys welcome & feast like kings, and of course to the friendly company of the Royal Alberts & co (particularly Jim & John, who rode with us after the rest bailed out :-0)

This was & has been in the past a great ride in some new & beautiful roads for us west siders, I would highly recommend this to everyone to go along in the future, it truly is a great riding experience!

Now, I'm away to clean my bike now, which I find it un-acceptable in JUNE!

Thanks for ready

P.S Thumbs up to Campbell for giving me a lift :-)

Cheers

Chung

Thanks guys for your nice comments and Morag says it was a real pleasure to serve you all! Yes, it was a day of underlying negatives with overlying positives! I really enjoyed your company again and I know Jim and John did too. Also, we were outnumbered by four good guys! 

Your report is an excellent summary of the day, Chung, and your pics, Campbell, serve as a nice record of a great day out. Chung, I'm glad I didn't know you felt depressed at the Biggar cafe stop, otherwise I might have become depressed myself. :-)

I am going to keep an eye open for a good-going JWCC Sunday run with a view to coming over and joining you. So, here's to the next time!

Dennis