What do I do on raceday??

Ian Porteous

• Life Members

Bad luck, Ian! Better luck next time!

I manage to get back to Mearns early-ish after my run today so decided to head over, and caught the 2nd lap of the first race turning left off the A77 near Mallotsaughs.

Spotted a Wheeler in amongst the main peloton which I think was Greg? He was so comfortable sitting in among the bunch, even managed a wee wave/shout out to me :-) Sorry I could not stay for the 2nd race where I knew there would be a few more Wheelers in the Bunch, hope you guys had a good one!

Looking forward to the reports!

Cheers

Chung

Unlucky Ian, en route to your first race as well. Sickener!

Mech hangers can be pretty hard to match for a replacement, can be a case of sitting looking at pictures comparing to the original to find. It should be easy to fix when you find the right cage though.

Hey Chung, that was me! Looked comfortable??? Dying inside!

Bit of a baptism of fire. Very fast from the off, managed to stay with the front group until the completion of the first lap (think I crossed the line second) but then we had to do it all again.

We had a 47 second lead half way up the A77 second time round, but only three of us working. Ended up with a group of 4 or 5 young whipper snappers on our tail by the end of the A77 who sat back until the steep section towards Stewarton then made a break. I stayed with a group of 6 that tried to chase them down. Got to within 50m before the final turn onto Clunch Road.

Guy in front lost chain momentarily which caused a slight split but I was done. Caught and passed a couple on the final stretch, but the main (second) group crossed the line without me. I had nothing left. Came between 10th and 15th (I think 13th but not sure).

Lessons learned.

Eat something during the tailwind of the A77!

Get the right gear up the final stretch and get my lazy ass out the saddle for the final push!

Great day though.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Unlucky with the mech hanger and the illnesses too.

Went to see a bit of the 2nd race going up past the fishing loch (white loch?), looked very scenic in the springtime evening sunshine but going the other way i dont suppose the view would be on your mind. Had intended to get some photos of the the wheelers involved but had to leave just after the first small group of about 6 went by so didnt manage to get any. Passed Paul on the descent as he was going up, i felt pretty guilty freewheeling down at that point!

Well done Alex sounds like you gave it a good go.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well done Alex-a great first race. I'm sure it's just the first of many good results to come.

I was off in the group after Alex & was quickly off that group due to them taking off like a rocket-within a mile we were sitting at 39mph!

Knew I was never going to hang on so let them get on with it. Even riding by myself I still averaged 34mph along the A77 stretch.

Charlie came up to me in a wee group & we were able to work away & pick up & drop various wee groups along the back of the circuit.

We lost Charlie at some point & caught & passed a toiling Colin.

2nd lap was more of the same but, frustratingly, only one guy in the group I was in would work, the others either wheel sucker or made fruitless attacks off the front before dying & reverting to wheel sucking.

Come the finish I was feeling ok so towed them up clunch road only to be jumped by a couple of the aforementioned wheel sucking types.

I know I'm rubbish but still had a good day.

Stats: Donnelly 1 McCusker 0

:) :) :) :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tough day. My heart went from 90 to 170 in 10 mins. Worked with a Falkirk and Fullerton boy and caught George. Sat behind Falkirk boy but he lost wheel of Fullerton fella so we just worked together for rest of race. Great camaraderie and crossed line together just behind Colin who to be hfair was on his own for a long stretch in to headwind .

Not too despondent as I have to take credit for keeping George interested in racing and it's nearly April.

Well done alex

Away to lick my wounds

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well it was a bad day at office for me. I was in second of three groups. On the initial blast up the A77 we lost some bodies then split on dams climb saw me in 2nd half of group. Scratch caught us over top, stayed with them over clunch and back on to A77. All 3 groups in sight at this point so the scratch guys nicked it up to catch the groups and I got pumped. Rode round to finish with other pumpees.

:)

Racing can be hard, c'est la vie.