Another newbie

Conlin

Hello to all. New very keen cyclist here. Started last Jan commuting at the start and some weekend rides, got myself up to 40+miles before winter kicked in. 

Now in training for a big challenge with work. Glasgow to London in 4 days. I'm quite comfortable with the training and getting my fitness to that level but need to practice riding in groups. 

So need to join obv

Keep an eye on the forum for weekend runs when weather picks up? Just turn up?

Also I've been told to get a professional bike fit in prep for my training and the challenge. Anywhere local do this? How much and is it worth it?

Ta much

Bike fit can be expensive £150 upwards to be fair could be worth it however having done 10 days on a bike riding 110 miles a day you will get sore and uncomfortable whether it's done or not

Run most Sunday's

Hello and welcome :)

As you say, look out for runs on the forum.

Depending on how long the 40 odd miles takes you would determine what group you give a go first.

On a good day we'll have 3 groups out.

If you don't work Mon - Fri there might be folk available during the week.

I had a bike fit at Dales which was about £100 at the time. There wasn't much changed but it gave me peace of mind.

It did take about 3hrs so felt I got my money's worth.

There's enough info on the web or through experienced riders that could give you a general starting point with regards to saddle height etc.

Depending on how long the 40 odd miles takes you would determine what group you give a go first.

I had a bike fit at Dales which was about £100 at the time. There wasn't much changed but it gave me peace of mind.

There's enough info on the web or through experienced riders that could give you a general starting point with regards to saddle height etc.

Thanks all. I have a CX and a new road bike however I have noticed on the road bike my right foot getting a bit. £100 isn't cheap but think I'll get it for peace of mind as you say

I'm averaging 16-17mph, not sure where that puts me

Right foot getting a bit???

There might be cheaper...a mate knows someone who is doing it for not much..just starting out etc.

Think he's Campsie based though depending where you live.

Ask for Jonathan Allen at Dales. It's all the Specialized BG fit stuff. Measure how flexible you are and no pressure to buy anything from them if they suggest a new stem for example.

That's a good average on your own. You could easily add 2-3mph onto that in a group depending on the route terrain.

If it's only the main bunch heading out, just try to look at the route and see where you could bail out if the run was a 70 miler etc

CX bike could be a bit smaller than your road bike, also is it different pedals,shoes on the bike, there are a few self tweaks before spending. Also a big box of 500mg painkillers is only a £5

http://www.walkerscycling.co.uk/Cycling%20Performance%20Consultancy/index.htm

Hi Paul

As others have said you can get a lot of good stuff on the net on bike fit. If you are set on a local pro job the above link gives an alternative to Dales (Neil Walker of Walkers Cycling).  I have no knowledge of either so maybe best fish about for reviews/price comparison.

Iain

• Members

Hi, Paul. Welcome to the Wheelers.

An alternative to a professional fit is to borrow a set of rollers from someone and spend an afternoon altering your position and videoing each change. I use wee coloured stickers on the seatpost, saddle rails and bars to track the changes. It'll quickly become obvious what looks and feels better, and as Iain says, there's lots of information available online.

Perhaps a professional fit would produce a better result (plenty of folk look better on a bike than me; few are as reluctant to spend money!) I suppose it all depends on the skill of the fitter.

What's happening to your right foot on the road bike and are you using different shoes/pedals when you ride it?

All the best,

Richard.

• Members

Members of an older age will recall me videoing riders on road and TT bikes each winter at turbo sessions . Playing back views from all angles helps riders see quickly not just position on bike but pedalling technique . We had a stock of mirrors also at that time collected from jumble sales which riders used to do own set up checks. The aforementioned Drew Wilson never trained without a mirror ( maybe that is why he runs a bikefit business now ? ) He would also ask for copies of his bikefit sessions to take home and analysis. Drew also does wind tunnel testing so something to consider for a group session ?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Paul,

As others have already said, welcome to the club.

In answer to your question, yes, keep an eye out for details of club runs that have been planned.  If the weather is good, there are usually a few different bunches going out.

The meeting place is mostly always at the clubrooms, Miller Street, Johnstone.  When you turn up, just introduce yourself and find out which group you are planning to go with.  If you haven't ridden in a bunch before, then let someone know, and they will go through a quick few pointers (it is really easy, but need to remember signals and calls).

Enjoy and I hope you get your bike fit sorted.

Cheers,

Ramsay

• Members

Btw, another benefit of DIY video is you can get a second opinion from your pals by email. I got great advice from a Wheeler after seven adjustments (top-right video) and then again after another six changes (bottom video) - lest he thinks I've forgotten!

whos the guy in the video anybody know him

He's a slimmer version of me, Billy. :-)

Right foot getting a bit???

There might be cheaper...a mate knows someone who is doing it for not much..just starting out etc.

Think he's Campsie based though depending where you live.

Ask for Jonathan Allen at Dales. It's all the Specialized BG fit stuff. Measure how flexible you are and no pressure to buy anything from them if they suggest a new stem for example.

That's a good average on your own. You could easily add 2-3mph onto that in a group depending on the route terrain.

If it's only the main bunch heading out, just try to look at the route and see where you could bail out if the run was a 70 miler etc

Oops, right foot getting a bit numb

Visualbikefit.com

owner is Drew Wilson an honorary life member of Johnstone Wheelers  and former proffessional cyclist. Mention you are a club member and Drew will see you ok, he can offer much more than a bikefit . He has experience of racing at all levels all over the world.

This looks ideal. I'll contact Drew today.

Hi, Paul. Welcome to the Wheelers.

An alternative to a professional fit is to borrow a set of rollers from someone and spend an afternoon altering your position and videoing each change. I use wee coloured stickers on the seatpost, saddle rails and bars to track the changes. It'll quickly become obvious what looks and feels better, and as Iain says, there's lots of information available online.

Perhaps a professional fit would produce a better result (plenty of folk look better on a bike than me; few are as reluctant to spend money!) I suppose it all depends on the skill of the fitter.

What's happening to your right foot on the road bike and are you using different shoes/pedals when you ride it?

All the best,

Richard.

Right foot around toe is getting a bit numb, using same shoes as on my CX so bike the only difference

Hi Paul,

Welcome. Another bike fitting option is to use the bike fast fit app. It films you on a turbo and you pinpoint various points on the screen and works out angles and other mumbo jumbo. A friend of mine tried it to compare his properly fitted bike with another and was pretty impressed with the results. Might iron out any major fit problems but can't see how it can compare with a reputable professional...

• Members

I rode with SPD mountain bike pedals on my road bike for years - Shimano M520s. They don't provide a very big platform for the foot and I'd get numbness and hotspots on longer rides - anything over 30-40 miles. It was just a thought. Your problem could be caused by all sorts of different things. Hopefully your bike fit will solve it. In the meantime, maybe try wiggling/scrunching up your toes every now and then when you're riding, see if that makes a difference. Best of luck.