Old (38) Beginner

Colin38

Hi all, I have recently started cycling. At 38, I'm obviously looking for exercise and leisure runs opposed to racing. I have managed a few 35-45 mile runs(one a weekend) on my own recently and have often spotted team colours out there. I wondered if there were any slow groups which might allow me to tag along for a bit to gauge how i'm doing etc, even just for half a run. I do have medically induced balance issues but i'm doing not too bad and would like to see if bunch riding is a stretch too far.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance, Colin

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Colin, welcome in. Like Ritchie and Ken have already said, the 30 milers is a good place to start. The pace is gentle enough that a reasonable level of fitness will not be too taxing, especially if you already know what the distance feels like, and no one gets left behind. As regards age, you are a mere youngster taking it up at 38. I was 53 when I started at the beginning of last year, and just got hooked on it. You'll be fine.

• Life Members

Hello there Colin, glad to have you on board!

Meet at the club room (Miller Street, Johnstone) and introduce yourself to the folks and they'll keep you right.

It would be advisable to carry with you mini tools, spare tube or two, some cash (could be a cafe stop involve in the run), fluid (preferably with energy powder in it), some snack (a wee chocolate bar or banana) just in case you need it. Oh, a helmet would be good too! :-)

You'll enjoy the experience for sure, so hope to see you soon as I cannot make it tomorrow - enjoy and have fun!

Cheers

Chung

Thanks everyone for the positive welcome. I had planned to train through the winter on my own and give the group a go in the new year. I will do my best to come along in the morning to get a taster of where in need to be. I'm not one to enjoy getting in the way so If I'm struggling I will drop off and let you guys get on with it.

Thanks again.