Sunday 5th October - Hill Climb Championships for the Joe Brunetti Shield 10:30 Howwood 0.3 miles

DavieB

• Members

Thanks to everyone who came out this morning, timekeepers, helpers and spectators alike. I'm really grateful.

And fair play to the riders who took on the hill. Forcing yourself up that slope at full tilt is really, really hard, irrespective of how long it takes to get to the finish line. The wind today was just insult to injury. Well done, folks!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks to the timekeepers, hauders-up (made up word alert) and enthusiastic spectators. Congrats to Richard as a worthy winner, and well done to Adam Hazle on another outstanding effort.

• Members

Thanks to organisers and big chapeau to Richard who was pushing a 40/22 or something similarly insane and could probably have smashed us even more by twiddling.

Alan (34/25)

Kenny MacDonald, Gordon Goldie - do either of you know what sort of gear ratios folk used on this climb when fixed wheels were less of a novelty?

• Members

42 ring was the most favoured as it was easy to aquire   and I recall winning using a variety of cogs from 17 - 21 depending on weather conditions.

When it was run in conjunction with Regent I know Steven McGinty won using fixed regularly and quite a small gear on one occassion 42 x 23 . Most top club riders went sub 1:40 to win trophy with Pat Boyle , Ian Neilson,John Fitzpatrick, Rick Stephen and myself going sub 1:30 on a few occassions plus Steven McGinty sub 1:30 on a few occassions and equalling record of 1:26 at that point .The record of 1:26 at that time was held by Jim Speirs a long time member of the club and he was presented with the old trophy when it was replaced as it was full . In past fixed was the choice for all hill climbs open , nat champs etc , and still is used regularly in British champs. The winner of Scottish champs at Lyle Hill in Greenock was DQd for not having brakes on his bike a few years ago. One inspired club rider took his seat pillar/saddle off to lighten his bike , he fell off at the first corner LOL

On another occassion my brother punctured twice and won the junior with his 3rd. attempt up the climb. I broke my chain 3/4 of way up and  got a rerun on mechanical grounds also  to win on second attempt. Worst conditions I ever experienced were howling gale blowing downhill along with torrential rain which meant rivers running down hill  and best was howling gale blowing you up hill when everyone did PBs :icon_yes

• Members

They don't make Johnstone Wheelers like they used to! I've ridden 41x22 for the last three years. I've never been faster than 1:36 and even on that occasion I was never properly on top of the gear. The ratio picked itself as the smallest I could get on the bike: 23-tooth sprockets are really hard to find and my cranks won't take a 40-tooth ring or smaller without the chain touching the arms of the spider.

Compare my teeny-tiny 41x22 (Alan!) with Graeme Herd's 42x17: 49" plays 65". Graeme's record is 1:22, 16.46mph, at an average cadence of 86, up a slope of 11% average gradient. :shock:

Great info, guys. Cheers!