New cross season

Colin H

Colin,

The eerie silence to your query, probably means "No". 

I plan to race as much as reasonably practical this year so hopefully will have some Yellow and Blue company at a few races. I have entered the Bute "open" race so the agony starts on Saturday.

Re. training I am still trying to regain some fitness from my lay-off and through some research on the cyclo cross sites have been concentrating on "tabata" intervals - basically blocks of short (20 second) intervals with an even shorter 10 second rest, sounds simple enough but which in reality is horrendous. This mixed in with a few Sufferfest videos to get some longer intervals will hopefully do the trick.

Weekends will probably see me in Parkhill woods but wouldn't mind finding a more cross like circuit as the rocks and roots are a wee bit extreme and have led to some problems running lower pressures on my tubeless rims (burping).

As for honing my very modest skills, my remounts are still useless and will no doubt remain so, but in terms of handling and control if you can run on tubeless or tubs at lower pressures it makes an unbelievable difference. Swapping from canti's to disc brakes has also been a revelation with the novel feature of having brakes that actually slow you down.

Would be good to get a few more bodies racing as it is one of the more fun ways to race on your bike.

Cheers,

Davie

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Colin, Davie and Jann

I'm planning on doing the SCX series this year and emulating my thoroughly woeful n=2 performance of last year. Training would be very cool indeed and I wonder if some saturday mornings in October might be fun? Would be good to do some beach work and I can thoroughly recommend shorelines at west kilbride or indeed the Irvine circuit.

Best wishes

Andy 

Andy,

Depends where you want to ride,if there are any decent courses round your neck of the woods I would head over to the coast. Otherwise I would suggest Parkhill Woods and try and find a more cross like circuit it can be done.

As for participation at the events, it has always been EOL friendly but if you read the minutes of the general meeting they are trying to discourage this so would suspect entering on-line is the only guarantee. I have entered the first few races.

Baptism of fire at Bute yesterday blew a gasket after 30 minutes, forgot how tough it is.