Help Namibia Commenwealth Race Team

Guest EPCC

Guest EPCC

See Below Can Anybody Help

The riders will all be staying in the Athlete's Village and starting to arrive from the 19th July, all leaving on the 4th/5th August. The Team consists of 8 members (6 men/2 women), the women are doing the Road, TT and MTB events. The men are all doing the road race with two also doing the TT and two others riding the MTB. Namibia has limited strength in depth, a matter i will certainly need to address for the future.

The Team arrival split is as follows.

6 Men - 3 to arrive on the 18th. 3 on the 28th (from Europe)

2 Women - 1 to arrive on the 18th, 1 on the 23rd (from Europe)

I will arrive on the 20th by train to support the Team Manager and Mechanic.

The Games organisers tell me they will be able to offer route guides but i have no idea how good or not these may be. I also don't know about access to feed zones for extra helpers so these issues may not be cleared up until my arrival. I know this is vague but what i'm thinking we will want is potentially -

People to discuss the MTB route with as i'm led to believe until the day before, riders will not be able to access the course to pre-ride.

May need staff for the feed zone but don't know if i can get anybody accredited to access this area - will need to find out.

Leaders for training rides as the riders will certainly want to ride out between arrival and events.

Please don't go to lot's of trouble but i would be very grateful if you could help me with contacts.

Thanks,

Richard

• 2023 Subscriptions

Happy to go out on a training ride / help plan a route with them although i think someone faster will be needed to lead it as i would be getting dropped early on!

I know the course at Cathkin Braes but i wouldnt be able to give any meaningful race advice - maybe worth forwarding the request to Thomsons as they have a couple of youngsters in their race team who are handy xc mountain bikers and would be able to give some expert tips.

Billy,

Ditto Iain's post re training routes. Could the club not offer assistance and help to develop our overseas links. The pace might be something we would find challenging to live with, but if its a leg stretch being sought rather than full on eyeballs out sessions then there are plenty of route that the collective knowledge could supply.

M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Yes Alan plan to be back with bogs bunch this week. Do you know where and when etc, its 7pm Renfrew bogs, I ride down from Bridge of Weir leaving 1830ish. Bunch comes out and follows same route as Thursday night after red smiddy roundabout. Eyeballs out from the word go. Will be about 30 or so riders as good forecast. Been sporadic recently as to whether there is a regroup at top of clune so last time I was out I took shortcut.

:)

Billy, if the Nimibians can get to the Squinty for 5.30 on Tuesday they can join the sewing B. I can deliver them back to hampden/east end afterwards. Should be simple using games lanes and cycle rroutes. If necessary I can head east to meet them. Could probably swing a few hours away from the coal face in the circumstances.

• Committee

Forecast good. Me too for the bogs.

Police station sign has gone but easy to find bunch of cyclists at bus stop opposite Victory Baths.

Not much of a wait at top of clune so if you are feeling the pain then take Woodhall shortcut, just follow the big jessies off to the left at Woodhall roundabout.

(Actually I might take shortcut as well because it was hard work chasing the fast disappearing bunch up the Clune).