West of Scotland Cycling Association - changes affecting us and our club

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi all,

Lengthy posting - apologies!

You may be aware that Scottish Cycling is re-structuring the way in which cycling is organised in Scotland. Their proposals include moving from the current Centre Associations to 5 new regions.

JWCC is part of the WOSCA centre which, under new proposals, will be transformed into "Scottish Cycling - West of Scotland". So what, you may ask? Quite a lot, really. It's more than a name change, with significant proposals to alter the way in which cycling and specifically racing is organised in our region.

I have been the club rep at WoSCA meetings for the last couple of years and am also the Youth Development Coordinator at WoSCA. Being the interfering type, I also volunteered to be part of the working group tasked with deciding what the new structure should look like.

The working group has begun by changing SC's plans for how this will be done ;-) . We figured it would be useful to start by asking what clubs and members thought the new region's goals should be and to keep them informed of what was happening. We will do this via regular meetings and postings here and on facebook etc.

So this is an invitation to get involved, either by posting your views here or by coming to meetings. Details of the first one and the new goals are listed below.

WEST OF SCOTLAND

CLUB FORUM MEETING

MONDAY 14TH JULY 7-7.30PM

QBikes, Charleston House, 87-95 Neilston Road, Paisley,

PA2 6ES

PROPSED AIMS & OBJECTIVES FOR THE WEST OF SCOTLAND REGION:

Aim – To create racing opportunities for all ages in all disciplines

Objective 1 – Competition infrastructure

• Youths
  • Juniors
  • Seniors
  • Women

Objective 2 – Events Support

• Training
  • Mentoring
  • Shadowing

Objective 3 – Club Support

• Establishing development plans
  • Support in applying for and sourcing funding
  • Help in budgeting

Objective 4 – Volunteers

• Training, development and CPD
  • Coaches
  • Commissaires
  • Timekeepers
  • All other volunteer roles

Objective 5 – Communication

• Establish a communication strategy for the Region

WHERE DO YOU AND YOUR CLUB FIT IN?

DO YOU WANT TO ADD TO THIS LIST?

HAVE YOUR SAY!

Would also like to see some structured Vets racing road and track

More sessions on the track for WOSCA adults

Development sessions for riders that have missed or not been good enough for the development pathway

WOSCA track league sprinters ladder and coaching Track time for other disciplines pursuit and such

Also

Structured and meaningful development for coaches plus SC giving something back to the coaches like reductions or no fees for coaches who do their sessions and would like to do other DSU or cycling specific courses

• 2023 Subscriptions

Martin

Great work being done by you and team. For me the priority has to be youth. After that I think the WOSCA series is great for the many, it is so popular there might be room to make an age split and still have 2 full races on the course. This would get more people doing more racing.

Track fantastic, youths get a lot of time and that should not change. What would be good for the rest and has been very popular is the 3-4 hour structured sessions when folks can have a go at all types of races and drills. I think they were called 'cluster sessions'.

Finally, to get a licence you must first attempt the Arran challenge :)

Guest George

For me &, from what I have read on braveheart, apr racing is the way to go.

It's safer for those new to bunch racing & means those who doubt their abilities can have ago.

Perhaps an apr series?

• Administrators

Most of the comments 're women's racing this has been around cat 1-4 all being in the one race, not much fun for beginners.

If each club was willing to host a cat 4 only informal racing/training.

Or something like Bella crits.

Jan

That's one of our issues

I am running a road race for us September as such can't ride in it we have a TT in August nobody seems to want to run it I don't know if I will have the time to run that as well bit don't want to cause I would like to ride it

So more events requires more involvement requires more people from our club to give up more of their time but we have a few people that give their time so I don't think we can ask the club to do more until we get more volunteers

• Members

Ideally a closed road circuit where multiple races can be held back to back ( we need an Ingliston in the West) this would allow beginners women races as well as Vets categories. Paul and Mul will remember when we ran a series of crits at Glengarnock when the surface was good . Different club running events weekly . The circuit was fast safe and very tough to get a breakaway , tough uphill finish toward Beith road to sort out finishers. Mul will also remember plans for closed road circuit at Linwood sports centre from early days of Jets. They have a circuit in Jersey where this type of racing takes part weekly . Its in a local park and when the flags are flying dog walkers ,joggers etc know to keep roadway clear . Maybe a dream but so was a Velodrome a few years ago . Good to see WOSCA moving forward with the help of Mr Mulhooligan well done !!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Committee

Hi Martin, well done for leading on this. I have been away.

Re: "Club Support"

Our clubrooms are a great focus for training/meetings. They will need a centenary rebuild/facelift. It would be good for SC/new WoSCA to give advice on accessing funding for infrastructure through lottery/grants etc.

I think the clubrooms inspire belonging and pride in the club. We may not have the fastest senior riders (apart from mighty Al) but the clubrooms have provided literally a solid base and store for a lot of the Jets work and also shown the parents, coaches and riders that we have history and permanence. The Jets work is a five/ten (twenty?) year project which is producing great young riders and I doubt we could do it without the space in the clubrooms.

I enjoy belonging to a club with a real clubhouse and would like to see others being built for our sister clubs. Imagine the total training wattage if there were a dozen Wosca venues with our numbers of youth riders on turbos/rollers in mid-winter.

I don't expect new wosca to build us new clubrooms but SC/newwosca will have contacts that all clubs could use.

Regards

alan