behaviour on forums

Guest George

Guest George

Hello,

I have been contacted by several club members who are concerned over the tone of posts on our forum and how these posts may appear to the public and prospective members.

In the past I have contacted individuals in my previous capacity as club chairman to ask the perpetrators to moderate their posts but this has obviously failed to have the desired effect.

Some of the nonsense I've read recently is playground stuff

I appreciate that some of our members are passionate about the sport but could we please try to temper this passion when on our message board?

In the grand scheme of things upside down logos or club runs that don't fit in exactly with your requirments aren't the end of the world. Not by a long way.

So please think twice before posting.

Thank you for reading,

George.

While not disagreeing with Iain or Richie that the forum is generally civilised, I think a key point of George's post was the reminder that this is a public forum and we all need to consider what we say and how we say it and the impact on outside viewers and specifically prospective members.

George

If there are any issues with the posts then please raise your concerns with a member of the committee

Re comment about upside down logos this was and is a serious issue as it shows us and one of our sponsors in a unfavourable light

I am happy that this has been resolved , my wording on the post to Mark and his to me were not offensive or taken as such .Sometimes trying to express your concern in a short statement is difficult however this was resolved and we are still the best of enemies

Guest George

Yes, Billy.

This is why we have a pm function- so you can contact the individuals directly.

I'm not on the committee so will say no more on the matter.

Agree with both Billy and George on this issue.......is that actually possible????

The forum should remain free and unfettered for members to air their views and opinions, pass information and have a bit of banter, but all of this should be within the law and thereafter tempered with a good dose of common sense. Rule of thumb - If you have cause to pause and think twice about what you are posting in a public forum then the chances are, assuming you do think, that the content of your post needs editing. A frank exchange of views between members, if it remains civil, is entirely inoffensive. It may leave a reader bemused but so does most of interweb land.

To be completely unrepentant in my opinions as to how the forum should be used is; if it is positive and shows the club in a good light then batter on. If the news is slightly less flattering then use the PM system - its all about public perception and we shouldn't be doing our dirty linen in public. That said, I have regularly asked the general membership if contacting me on specific issues, be it club kit or something else they want raised at committe or with me personally, to PM me. However this request usually falls on blind eyes. In that respect we , collectively speking, are our own worse enemy. I'm not a fan of censorship in any form but there are ways and means. The benefit of the PM system to me is I get an email notification and the member's message/query doesn't then get lost in the wider forum traffic.

To address a current issue, if I may, the original query regards the skinsuits' logos perhaps this should have been raised with me in a more discrete, but what's done is done. More on the resolution to this issue on the club store thread.

I think it's good that potential members can see what the Club Runs are all about.

Is it possible to have that as the only forum open to all?

Alternatively, the likes of Bike Radar has their Bottom Bracket (anything goes) forum where you can only access it if you're a member and logged in.