Wosca race Sunday

P McDonald

Good luck guys

If I could beg you a favour

We have a young guy called Harry Johnstone who rides for team Thomsons Cycles he's a junior MTB and just 16. He's quiet a talent on MTB and he's on the British Cycling Olympic Development Squad. The coaches there have instructed him to do some road races and this is the first one.

Just wondered if you could keep a wee eye out for him and give him a wee hand.

He's a very strong rider and should be able to attack all day long so he could be handy if you guys could work out a wee plan. He's been given Ian sim as a guy to mark and to follow his moves but it could a lonely day for him.

It's ok if you guys have your own wee plan and have your own strategies I was just wondering if and plz don't feel obliged as as I say was just a wee idea and he'd probably be mortified if he knew I was even mentioning this too you lol

Any way dig in and have a stormer guys

Cheers

Allan

Made it to the start line in this one with Andy despite the conditions. It was really horrendous hanging about in the rain for the race to get underway felt like January lucky Paul you are sunning it up in Spain ! Felt ok in the neutralised roll out and was preparing for the first surge as the flag came in. Put my nose into the wind at one point and speed dropped by about 2 mph so realised it was going to be a hard day. Managed to sit in down to the first corner into the dams climb. Was well positioned here and feeling ok. However the pace setting on the front was pretty savage and I started to become aware thAt I was losing ground fast (sorry if this is sounding a bit familiar). Anyway got my head down and was almost back on by the time the bunch got to the top. However a further injection of pace courtesy mainly from couriers riders saw me distanced again so I resigned myself to a day of time trialling in terrible conditions. Think a few guys gave up (sensibly) after a lap or so but sucker for punishment that I am decided to battle on. My pace on the a77 slowed to a crawl into the headwind then joined up with a small group for a short spell. I think I must have got myself into the 'too much negative self talk' because of the conditions at the start as I'd been feeling strong all week. I actually dropped them next time up the dams climb ( good to know that there are people out there struggling with the up bits even more than me) and picked my pace up on the downwind leg towards the clunch road. Further toil back into a hurricane like headwind followed by lap 3 when the wind changed round so didn't get the benefit of it behind as on laps 1 and 2. All on all a tough day at the office. Now someone pass me the red wine. Racing can be very humbling at times !