27th april - Main bunch run with intermediate and 30 miler bunches welcome!!

gregbalden

• Life Members

I fancy something more interesting than the shortest route, but don't want to be chasing the main bunch, so that leaves option 2, Ardentinny. I've not been on that route before so it would be good to try it if we have a bunch willing to give it a go.

Graham,

If you're heading anti-clockwise to Strachur via Ardentinny after Sandbank for Option 2, then you're basically doing the "Whistlefield" Climb (in reverse to what we normally do the climb from - the A815 end as we head back towards Dunoon after Strathur) after passing Ardentinny to drop back down onto the A815 then all the way to Strachur. Just a heads up in terms of the route, the climb is fairly steep from the Ardentinny end with a few steep hair-pin turns, the road surface are not great so be aware when you decent back onto the A815.

May I suggest that we try as much as possible to ride as a group doing the same route, there's enough climbs in option 3 - where we normally re-group at the top to keep the bunch together. Even if there is a split on the A886, it wouldn't matter so much as the Cafe in Strachur takes ages to get served anyway, so staggering our arrival might be better :-)

Anyway, what ever we all decide to do, I hope the weather is going to get better than its forecast at present!

See you guys on Sunday!

Cheers

Chung

Chung,

I think that would be great idea to keep the group together as much as possible. From memory a large group round those roads was quite something and it certainly took the average of the 30 milers and intermediates within it up quite a bit the last time (didn't seem like a lot more effort).

Jody

Looks like I will make this. Will be there for 10 ferry.

You guys know I prefer the longer route to Strachur either via Beallachandrain ( C11) or via Tighnabruaich.

What about dragging the full bunch up the last climb to Tighnabruaich which is a nicer stop than Strachur and just reverse route after lunch (Kames Hotel ?) Dunoon Tighnabruaich is 26 miles with 3 climbs. Those keen to add difficulty could return via Otter Ferry and Beallachandrain (C11) or even Strachur.

Sorry Greg - just confusing the issue ! Will go with the flow on the day.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I did the Kinross Sportive today 90 miles and 6,500 ft of climbing, am well into the recovery beers and the legs refuse to go out tomorrow. Have a great run.

So long as you're fit for Tuesday. We've got 41 seconds to shave off........

• 2023 Subscriptions

Truly spectacular day, great weather, good company, some spectacular scenery, good food (courtesy Kames hotel in Tigh-na-bruich) and got 100.27 miles in, making it my first century run. I make it over 4900 feet of climbing. I think the run out from Dunoon would have looked spectacular with 20-odd wheelers riding in formation. Good shout on the Dunoon run Greg.

• Life Members

Another splendid day on the bike with the Joansins!

Everybody left the clubroom together 8.30am sharp heading towards the ferry via the track to Port Glasgow, then the ferry picking up folks along the way.

What with all the groups riding together, I counted over 24 at one point most in club colours. It was a sight to behold! :-)

We caught the scheduled 10am ferry with plenty of time to spare, a few decided to continue on towards Largs while the rest crossed the water into SUNNY Dunoon. Discusion & decision was made as to who was riding which route, again we all set off towards Sandbank where some opted to take the direct course to Strachur via Lock Eck while the rest turn left heading towards the Loch Tarsan Climb, bloody 30% if my Garmin was correct.

A quick descend onto A886 heading towards Strachur for some, while 8 of us followed Al suggestion to go to Tighnabruaich instead for a lunch stop at the Kames Hotel, sitting outside with stunning view over the Kyles of Bute, it's got to be the best cafe view of a cycle cafe stop........ Oh the food and service was cracking too.

We decided to retrace our route back to Dunoon instead of Otter Ferry (good call by the way) but with a scenic detour further down the Peninsula before climbing out of Tighnabruaich for the ferry. We just manage to miss a ferry meant a wee wait for the next one.

Eventually got back to the mainland & up the Clune then track to get home before supper time!

100miles & 4600ft of climb, what a brilliant day out with everyone riding at least part of the run. Great idea Greg, we should do it more often.

I hope everyone made it home ok, we were really lucky with the weather.

Apparently Charlie & Iain C's TT was cancelled last minute, so they ventured out towards Strachur via the Rest hoping in search of the Joansins, sadly it didn't work out but I was told the pair had a great time, especially the tow to the ferry courtesy of the Paisley Velo Boys.

Thanks to everyone for the wheels today, and the extra fruitcake & bars when I really needed it.

Cheers

Chung