Wanted: Kinesis mech hanger

• Members

Mine sheared off on the way home this evening. Does anyone have one kicking about? (I'm sure there's another Racelight rider in the bunch. Question is, is he the sort of well-prepared, wise individual who would keep a spare handy?)

I fear I'm going to have to order online and wait for delivery. The thought of not being able to turbo tomorrow is causing me some amount of distress. Help.

• Members

Well, you've helped a bit - at least I now know who our Kinesis riders are! It's been so long since I've been out with the bunch in winter that I couldn't remember who had one.

As a reward for replying, I'm going to attempt to bore you with the tale of my hunt for a hanger (or What I Did Today.)

I called a few shops in Glasgow this morning, including the place I got the frame from, with no joy. Alpine Bikes thought they had a hanger that would work, but they wanted to see the broken original before staking their reputation on it. While I was waiting for the rain to go off, I started googling: Walkers Cycles have the Kinesis hanger in their online store. I called to see if they actually had one in stock. They weren't sure and went off to check. My patience expired before they called back. I ordered the Kinesis hanger from ChainReaction with next day delivery (£13.99 now, Alan!) then went shopping. The chain and gear cable were trashed when the hanger sheared so I bought replacements from Willy Bain, and new jockey wheels for my rear mech. On the way home, I popped in to Alpine. Amazingly, the hanger they had in stock looked pretty much identical to my broken Kinesis hanger. It was made by a third-party manufacturer (Wheels Manufacturing from the US.) They make 200 different types of mech hanger. This was model number 42. The only problem was that they didn't list it as Kinesis compatible on their website.

The bloke in Alpine said it was originally £22. He offered it to me for 15. After some umming and ahing, I decided to take it and haggled him down to £14 - all so I can turbo! I cycled home and fitted the hanger, new chain, gear cable and jockey wheels (the old ones were actually missing teeth.) I indexed the gears and they were shifting quite well, up till the point I tried to put it on the biggest cog. The mech cage went right into the spokes. Half an hour later, with the limit screw as tight as it would go, I could still hear the tinkle-tinkle of cage on spokes in my lowest gear. The new hanger looks pretty well aligned to me, so I suspect my rear mech was bent out of shape when the hanger snapped off last night. Or it could be that a winter of neglect and riding along the muddy canal path has deformed the cage.

I'll try the proper Kinesis hanger when it arrives tomorrow. Then I'll probably have to buy a new rear mech! On the plus side, my turbo wheel, with its 25-tooth biggest cog, worked without the cage hitting the spokes so I got to do my intervals in the end! The moral of this story - if anyone has actually managed to read this far - is that it's probably a good idea to have a spare hanger in your parts bin because finding one quickly is a pain the backside. And clean your bikes!

• Members

I actually tried to get him down to a tenner, but he wasn't having it.

Well done though for getting to line 11 of what is far and away THE most boring post I have ever made (and there's some pretty stiff competition among my previous offerings.) Writing it down was more about stress-relief therapy than something you all actually had to read! ;)

• Committee

I can be more boring. I tried straightening my old hanger and it looked ok but when I tightened up the QR it sent the mech into the spokes. So I binned it and the new hanger is fine.

I suspect the clearance is pretty tight on the frame and may depend on your RW spoking pattern.

Good luck with the new hanger. What will you do with the saved pound?

Alan

• Members

Dunno about boring. You were definitely pithier.

The saved pound went to the cost of a new rear mech. The cage was touching the spokes because it was indeed bent. In fact, I suspect the cage was bent before the hanger sheared. It was probably the source of all the problems in the first place. Reading yesterday's reliability thread, it looks like February 'tis the season for sheared hangers.

This all means that the Wheels number 42 dropout probably is an adequate replacement for the official Kinesis hanger. I've got one going cheap if anyone wants it - only £15. ;-)

I laugh in the face of sheared rear mech hangers, WAA HA HA!!!!!!!!!.

One should get out (in the bunch) more Richard. Good for the soul. All that indoor interval training can't be good for you. You'll go stir crazy man and start composing long winded posts about negotiating massive savings at bike shops, mech hanger design numbers and such stuff. You'll soon be seeing bent mechs at every turn. Downhill after that Bro, it'll be level 4 intensity and FTP and pyramid this and wilt that before you know it. You'll feel the urge to put on a stone and move to Paisley and..............................turn into Billy Mac.

These are good ways to beat the monotony of turbo sessions:

1. Music with a beat-Al Jareau, Swing Out Sister or Bronski Beat

2. I find that flock wallpaper is less boring to stare at than woodchip (wallpaper with a nice Laura Ashley border is even more "rad")

3. Try watching Ceefax while turboing, get fit and keep abreast of world events.

4. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• 2023 Subscriptions

Al

Hows the form

I'm sure all the hot and sunny winter training will have set you up for a double Arran, not that I'm obsessed with that topic, its 76 days to go by the way, or 10 weeks on Saturday if you like, or 0.19 years (of which you typically spend 90% in the sunshine)

:)

Paul, form must be coming along as I PR'ed on the full gas section of the local Renfrew Bunch on Sat - still dropped right enough ! No excuses though as the weather has been great as usual. Prob not great prep for PR though - must remember to buy a top with sleeves. Will join you for the Arran trip. Ha - almost said looking forward to it.