Hr monitors

• 2023 Subscriptions

Until I got my Garmin, I used a Tesco HR monitor. It is a watch, which is not my favourite for on the bike, but at £20, you can't go wrong. I did also use a very expensive Polar watch before, but did not better/worse than the Tesco one.

• Members

I bought a Cateye V3 Triple Wireless this time last year. For 90-odd quid you get the usual current, average and maximum readouts, a lap function, HR, cadence and an insatiable appetite for batteries! I really recommend buying a computer with HR if you've never had one before. I almost exclusively use mine on the turbo but it's been a real eye-opener. I do wish I'd shelled out the extra 100 quid and bought a Garmin, though. That's what I'd do now if I was buying again - a Garmin Edge 500 with HR and cadence. Shop around and you'll get one for under £200.

Plus points with a garmin are

Can be used with any bike

Can buy additional cadance sensors for the above

Works with ant+ power meters

And are simple to set up and use

And you can upload to strava

• 2023 Subscriptions

Handtec tend to have the best prices for garmin and polar, when i got mine a couple of years ago i got Evans cycles to price match in store - dont know if they still have this policy though.

Have a garmin 510.

Constant glare on screen. Even in overcast conditions.

You can get anti-glare screen protectors which work pretty well. Either specific ones for garmin or you can get a mobile phone / ipad one and cut to size

Handtec tend to have the best prices for garmin and polar, when i got mine a couple of years ago i got Evans cycles to price match in store - dont know if they still have this policy though.

You can get anti-glare screen protectors which work pretty well. Either specific ones for garmin or you can get a mobile phone / ipad one and cut to size

Cheers, Iain, ordered one :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Charlie

Which one are you buying ?

If it's to work with the turbo it's difficult to find non ant +

Billy

Aspire to garmin edge but not just now. Have ordered polar ft2 from Handtec ( Ta Iain) as it has t31 transmitter which is compatible with my tacx turbo. oral cost incl delivery £37. Cheers Paul u saved me a fortune.

will give review when up and running

Charlie

The good thing about the tacx is the power settings

We will be utilising power on all the indor sessions

The on road ones we will use HR but note it is difficult to stay in the lower zones

• 2023 Subscriptions

No review as when sent message to handy ex for update when would be delivered they sent an email back saying not in stock and that they had cancelled order and reimbursed me.

Not impressed and about yo launch in to them. On a positive note paul has posted his hr monitor for sale so will try that

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

polar ft 2 hr monitor

Does what it says on tin. easy to read which is good for old gits like me who need big writing. bonus in that monitor is compatible with spin bikes at my local gym. also use it on my turbo. also bought Bryton from Paul leavy. use this for road runs and again no complaints as easy to read and quite easy to use. this was compatible with a garmin monitor I already had so no extra cost