track 30

Alan McLean

• 2023 Subscriptions

Im in

Thinking of putting a bigger gear on - currently have a 50x15 which is 90 inches (from what i've read track gears are measured slightly different from road gears) and have a 49x14 available (94.5 inches) which seems to be quite a jump so not sure if it is sensible or not. What are you all riding? (Or is it a secret :D)

• Members

You'll get as many opinions as there are riders on this particular subject. ;)

I've been getting my legs ripped off on 52x15 (93.6") for the last three weeks. I never imagined that I'd go that high. For my first fortnight in the A group, I was on 48x14 (92.6"). The difference between those two gears is 1" - that's the smallest incremental increase you can make from 48x14. But the way the change feels - to my mind at least - is completely disproportionate to that 1" increase. I think the 52 is much, much harder to accelerate than the 48, but it seems to roll better when you are up to speed.

You're talking about a 4.5" jump, Iain. Unless you have a pre-track league epidural, you'll definitely notice the difference! The bigger the gear, the harder it is to accelerate. Your legs suffer even more for every change of pace in the bunch. If you're a big beast of Scottish cycling, if you can ride a 20-minute ten on the Westferry, 93"-plus might work for you. Everyone else should be trying to pedal and spin instead of pushing a big gear. Ask some of the youths in the adult A group what gear they're on - it'll blow your mind.

If you're going to experiment I think it's best to make wee changes. If you could get your hands on a 48-tooth chainring (to use with your 14-tooth sprocket) or a 51-tooth chainring (to use with the 15) that'd maybe be a good start.

Rich, that's about right re the change from a 48 to a 52, even on the same inches the 48 is easier to spin up and the 52 will roll better!

I'm riding 49x14 and it spins along nicely, Ian, try it, you'll be fine. I was riding 50x14 in the C's, changed down towards the end in May, it helped. (FYI just did the pursuit and kilo on 50x14, Sprint/flying 200 + Kierin on 50x13)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Will stick with the 50x15 for another week then give something else a go at a drop in.

I dont have a power metre so difficult to judge if the figures back it up or not but if on the road bike doing a hard effort (one that is longer than a sprint) then about 100 - 105 rpm feels most efficient, which is a lot lower than what i'd be at doing a similar effort on the track. I suppose there is the fixed wheel to take into account though.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Enjoyable night in the Cs

Scratch was ok but couldnt close down on the leaders before the line and finished 4th. The points was hard - the roll out lap had riders spread all over the track and getting told to bunch up - however before this happened he gun went so there were a few of us at the back and having to dig in and close a gap before we'd crossed the start line. This ruined Billys pre race strategy of going for a break after the first sprint. Ended up getting back and taking the 2nd or 3rd sprint and trried to stay out, got caught by someone on the line for the next points then it was just a case of trying to hang on. Colin was finishing strongly and as he moved up to contest the sprints i tried to get on his wheel but couldnt and that was when the elastic snapped and i got dropped, fortunately was near the end so didnt have much longer to suffer! Devil was next and pretty pleased with a 2nd. Almost got eliminated a couple of times early so moved to the front and tried to stay there which i managed thanks to Alan sitting on my shoulder meaning riders would have to go quite wide to come round (was a tactic that worked pretty well and almost paid off for us both with Alan finishing 4th - after having ridden an extra few metres compared to me every lap!). Eventually came down to 2 of us left and i led out the sprint but the other guy came round me in the back straight and i couldnt respond.

It was a frustrating night had a cunning plan for the scratch which involved doing nothing andetting others drag me back nearly worked but was left a bit too far back for the finish

Was totally peed in the points race was well behind the front riders and was totally surprised the gun went so threw the rattle out the pram and moaned at the starter

I asked for a definition of bunching up which wasn't given

Really need to shed a few pounds and train

Not too bad in the A's, it was very fast but the training is paying off and sitting in at high speed is getting easier along with putting in the big accelerations. About 7th in both the first two scratch races, some nice acceleration to get third and fifth in the first two sprints in the points and then it was game over, but I was happy with doubling my A points total from before :)

Enjoyable night at the track. A larger than normal group of C's meant done good racing. Felt good in the scratch but got caught too far up the track and wasted a lot oc energy. Was moving up when possible and finished mid bunch. Had to make too many big efforts as a result of being too near the back. Managed to learn a bit from this for the points race and conserved energy put a dig in for the last sprint and may have got 3rd. Legs knackered for the devil and was boxed on on about 10 the lap