Track September 4

Guest EPCC

• 2023 Subscriptions

Enjoyable night although i have a fair bit of work to do to be able to make a breakaway stick or be competitive in a sprint. Also the first race in particular i was feeling a bit rusty in terms of bike handling and ended up doing a couple of daft things like drifting off my line and so on. Things improved a bit as the night went on and managed to get a 3rd in the devil by the end, helped by half the field already on their way home by that point!

Hope those involved in the crash are alright. I didnt see what happened but never a pleasant sight coming round the next lap and seeing people and bikes on the deck.

Really great night last night for a first time. Thanks for the help guys. Looking forward to getting a bit better as the season progresses. Guy touched wheels 2 riders in front of me in the 20 lap scratch race and me and Duncan came off.A few minor grazes nothing serious didn't spoil my enjoyment can't wIt till next week

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great turn out and results from many wheelers and jets last night, good to see it back. Fantastic clean sweep from big Al in the B group with Richard just off his wheel. Some magnificent suicide attacks from Alan in the C and real progress from Billy who just missed out in at least one race. Colin was very comfortable as a first time participant especially given the low gearing on his bike and good to see Duncan in the fray. Janullrichdietplan did his dark horse with some real power rides. Couldn't keep track (pun) of all results :)

Thought I would write this next bit down so I might actually do it - plan to not join youse for a month as I plan to have a break from racing - after a wee road race on Sunday :) My name is Paul and I am a raceaholic...

• Committee

Paul, Richard and, above all, Al dominated the B group in a great display of racing.

Al now has a favoured tactic in the scratch races of launching from top of track into turbo pursuit mode with 6-8 laps to go. No-one could catch him and only his team mates were close.

It was exciting to watch.

I think all three should be racing A next week.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

hmm, as paul said, the track is not the place to find your fitness. Turns out he's right.

Having said that the third race, scratch I think, I was starting to feel good (not awful) and sitting on a wheel when there was an odd noise somwhere.

At this point, I should have gone up track to avoid what was obviously a crash about to occur. Oddly, it didn't occur to me until the next day, track novice A wee bit of help.

So, once the three in front of me, including colin were scattered to the winds, I saw a gap, great, but as you already guessed, gravity caused the rider to slide down, fill the gap and I went over him. The velodrome roof looked great between my knees as I performed a beautiful parabola and landed on my head. I know this because the remains of the cote d'azure were left on the top of my helmet. The inner helmet is cracked all the way through to the shell.

Bottom line: glad I was wearing a helmet. Enjoyed the night though.

The Joansin' performed well in all races. Ohyadancer!

Duncan