Bishopbriggs triathlon-

• Committee

It has been a miserable spring but I finally gave the JWCC trisuit an airing at this busy event with competitors from 7-70.

After a splash round the lazy river we covered four laps of an out and back 5k bike route, then a 5k warm down jog along the canal path.

The 90 degree corners and dead turns provided some hilarious examples of triathlete bike handling skills, maybe not so funny for folk pulling themselves out of ditches. (Actually it WAS quite funny to watch.) The strong crosswind almost gave me my own HEOTBHS while descending fast on aerobars and deep section wheels.

There are usually a few bike club rejects like myself at these triathloning events but this was a full-on trigeek affair and I did not see any of the usual roadie types.

There was a super atmosphere with lots of youth and junior racers and family racing. Big congratulations to our youth riders including Heather Fleming (skiving off exam leave) and Iona and Katrina Miller who were both second in their age groups, and Sarah Bradford who was track racing on Wed,won the Bella crit on Thursday, and won her race today Ohyadancer! :banana .

I got third vet but the gap between me and the real racers in their late teens and twenties is growing fast. The elastic is going to snap this year in my last season as a vet. I've spent ten years being crushed by unemployed students with unlimited training time and now I am going to get crushed by early retirees in their fifties with UTT. (Fortunately the NHS has promised to employ me until I'm 67 so I should get a few years of really focussed training in my early 70s).

Anyway the season has started, stay tuned for more gripping reports.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Covered a good range of subjects there Alan. However you didn't mention your view on Star Trek/series 5/episode 4 which I'm sure would be very interesting.

But seriously, well done all you 3 pronged types

:)