Campag PT crank & bearing removal

The Campag circle of doom continues....

Anybody got the bearing pullers for PT cranks or any advice?

Looking at the depth of pull required and the profile of the bearings the only other option is to buy a cheapo set of Draper / Silverline jobs and grind the jaw profile to suit - again any advice (bar taking it to a professional bike "mechanic ;-) ) gratefully accepted but please note I have already considered the use of hacksaw and hammer prior to disposing of it in the nearest skip.

Ridiculous that you need to jump through hoops like this to change bearings, never mind remove the cranks - so yes kids buy Shram, Shi*mano, FSA etc instead.

Davie

Alan,

In my book Pi@h Te@h however the Italian masters of invention refer to it as Power Torque, which would be better suited to an over priced energy drink.

As this is a generation up from Campag Ultra Torque (aye seriously) I'm keenly awaiting 2014's Mega Torque where you have to replace the entire bike every time the bearings go breasts up.

D

• Life Members

David,

I hope you've got the problem sorted, it not then here's a link to Parks proper tool to do the job:

http://m.parktool.com/product/campagnolo-r-power-torque-tm-crank-and-bearing-adaptor-set-cbp-5

Billy,

The Chorus Cranks on your new bikers far as I know also employs Ultra Torque design!

Power torque is a recent addition & are on Athena, Centueur & Veloce the lower half of Campag's groupsets. The reason for this design (ive been told) is to allow speccing these groupset on cheaper full built bikes where the "facing" of the bottom bracket shell is not common, therefore it will allows for discrepancy in the line of the crank axle. Where the Ultra torque will not because the 2 section of the crank arms are joined on the middle (Herthe joint) and it has to be very precise. Hence UT only comes in the higher model assuming punters put these are for higher end bikes where the BB shell should be faced! Obviously now that a lot of bikes have press fit BB, I'm not sure how relevant this problem is anymore.

There's one thing I found after using Campag for a while is that their design is very elegent but at the same time it creates maintainence issues where you'll more than likely to use its dedicated tools to fix it.

Not sure a vice & hammer is a good idea, Billy!

Just my views!

Cheers

Chung,

Once again the voice of reason ....I am aware of the Park tools and my stance remains the same I'm not paying the money for this gear and maintain it's ridiculous that you need this level of kit to maintain a bike, that said I also realise this is effectively a rage against the machine.

The Ultra Torque stuff which used to run through the entire range was maintainable because the crank arms were self extracting and you could get a set of standard bearing pullers to remove the bearings, call me daft but surely maintainability is part of the design process. I suspect the real reason for the PT design is that it is cheaper to manufacture. As I have no real interest in bike "bling", weight weenies or gadgets which don't make me any better on the bike I won't be experiencing the "performance" benefits of Record, Super or otherwise but will be looking at other component options in the future.

D