Confined APR

Stephen Hickey

I'm not sure why the confined APRs didn't happen last year and don't seem to be happening this year. However I have wondered for a while about trying to organise at least one confined APR as a Development race.

There are quite a few newcomers to the club who have expressed an interest in taking part in racing for the first time this year - mainly with an eye to the TLI APRs. Even these relaxed events however can still seem to be a bit daunting to anyone who has never raced in any shape or form. For these folks a club APR might help with the transition needed to go from Sunday bunch run to an actual race.

I dont need to go into specifics just now but obviously there would be a first group with newcomers and hopefully a coach to ride with them and keep them organised (I'll try and persuade Kenny Mac to do this if he is available). The pursuing group(s) could be sorted out on the night but hopefully we could find a day / date / time that would fit in with the training schedules of the club's established racers.

One of the TLI APRs last year was run as a development event and to encourage first timers the rule on the day was that the first group had to keep together until a certain point on the course - if one got dropped the whole group would be disqualified. This might be a worthwhile plan for our own confined APR, for say the first 2 laps (unless the group gets caught before then) to make sure everyone gets a chance to take a wheelabout and have a good long go at riding in race conditions.

I asked a few folk on today's Sunday run about arranging this and got a very positive response. I think the best time would be a midweek evening after the clocks go forward. How about Thursday 21st or 28th April as a possible date? (I'm not sure if it will be light enough by then?)

Could you let me know what you think folks, and I'll firm up arrangements if I get a response.

Cheers

Hello, beer !!

Stephen H

PS I think I'm right in saying the confined APR course starts just outside Gateside, is about 6.5 miles per lap, usually 4.5 laps long and is a "rolling" course with no horrendous hills (honest :oops: )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, I'm running a "Nae Prizes" league around Dumfries. These are open TLI events, but realistically most of the riders will be Dumfries club members. They will be similar to the events you describe here. My entry fees will be £2 for TLI members and £5 for non members. This way you know you would be insured, you could open up the field to invited guests from other clubs if you wish, and paying an entry fee tends to raise the riders adrenalin levels. the non member surcharge could be refunded after a couple of races for anyone who decides they like it so much they want to join TLI. something to think about.

For all your computer needs, spares & repairs - PC Express, Love Street, Paisley   0141-561-0323

Stephen ,

Great idea mate 100% respect fo you even thinking about it.

Have a chat with Kenny Mac about this as he has the knowledge on what is best to do.

He was telling me before about events the clb did before and riders where not allowed to Engage the Big rinG!!!!!!!! this was some sort of time trial.

Anyway mate again if you need any help or volunteers to help i will try and make myself availeble just keep me posted.

If this does go ahead and we have people interested then others out there who are thinking about rd racing then dont let this chance go without a try.

My 1st Road race was last season at the TLI Bellsdyke and dearie me (As jimB would Say) did i have stage fright or what!!!!

Nill experience and some of the other riders where well known and strong.

The usual question you ask is - can i do this ? am i good enough? will i get dropped? all the obvious negative thoughts that you think about.

To my luck before the racing started i had riders such asd Darryl Gunson and Mark whitehead + Paul Mcdonald and others advinsing me on how to ride etc.

What about an italien Persuit stephen at Glengarnock?

This a great way to get fit for a wheel about.

Split the number of riders into to teams of 3-4 each.

Put the slowest rider to the front of each group make them do 1 lap full pelt with the other team going in the opposite direction.

After the 1st rider takes his 1st full lap at full malky he then droppes off at the beginning of the 2nd lap then the following riders do the same untill you have both teams down to 1 man .........1st over the line wins the points.

Something like that anyway................

Stevie B.

I'm up for these internal events as I said yesterday, Steve. I need the experience.......

Midweek suits me better 'cos it usually avoids clashes with running events (usually Wed, Sat, Sun).....or even cycling events :shock:;-) .

Ali - as always - agrees with me on this :lol:

She mustn't be allowed to finish ahead of me, of course....

E

I rode a club APR on the circuit a couple of years ago, I think we had 2 or 3 groups with 10 minute gaps. Kenny kindly showed my group (Martin M, myself and 2 other I can't remember) round on the 1st and 3rd lap and he joined another group on the 2nd lap. This was really good experience without being too serious and would have been an ideal introduction to road racing if I had followed up on it.

I would recommend it to any one looking for experience, training run or just a chance to get out the house mid week and get a few hard miles in.

If it goes ahead on either a Tue or a Thur night I will take part - sorry but other nights don't fit in with family.

I assume this will only take place if we get enough interest so go on put your name down here. What have you got to loose?

Iwill try to support these events as best as I can if enough people bother,good for leg speed work.

I would be available to ride an APR style event on Thursday 21 or 28 April. The Tuesdays are already pencilled in the Confined Calendar as Georgetown TT's.

The timing is right to encourage more people to try this type of riding and maybe enter some other TLI or maybe Division 3 SC events and give them a feel for a different type of cycling.

I think the idea of a small levy is an important one from an insurance angle.

As Stevie has said I vividly recall the first APR event I rode,, Jim also rode this as a debut and I can assure everyone that dearie me is not even remotely close to the comments that we made,,,,, when we recovered enough.

As a point of note the Barmill circuit we used in the TLI open event last year is a 9 mile circuit so probably 3 or 4 laps should be possible in the light although may need to drive there !!!

I'd be very keen to do this and either 21st or 28th April would suit...