Track League

Darryl Gunson

• 2023 Subscriptions

Nice one Richard. You have done something that I have been trying to do since 1992, that is win a bike race!! Chapeau. You are clearly on form at the moment, with a great string of high finishes.

Well done to Danny as well. Sounds like a win is on its way.

• Members

Cheers, folks!

In the youth section Danny Mul nabbed 2 x 2nds and 2 x 3rd places. Here's hoping he can follow in your wheeltracks and get his maiden win before too long as well.

We're nothing if not consistent. ;-) For what it's worth, I think Danny's got a win in him. I saw some of his races as I was pedalling about the track centre. Just a question of emerging at the front at the optimum time, perhaps. Dare to wait that wee bit longer, Danny. Let some other mug chase down the early attacks!

• Members

Does the league now have a league? (If you know what I mean.)

There will be a league table at some point, Alan, but I haven't seen one yet. The results are here. Still some teething problems, though:

http://www.britishcy...-Track-League-0

If so then you must be right up there.

Nah, 'fraid not. Top-three placings are weighted: you score more for victory in an A race with the grown-ups than in a C race. Across the three groups - A, B and C - it's nine, six and three points for a win. Points are awarded for minor places in a similar fashion.

Other C riders have been more consistent than me (with more wins, too!) and on top of all of the above, there was chatter to the effect that last week's points won't count towards the league because the Celtic game meant some people had trouble arriving on time. Typical that that was my best-scoring night.

How does the "unknown distance" race work please?

George, they'd have used your method, but the PA system was broken. :-P The comms decide on a distance and keep it to themselves. The race starts and everyone rides round not knowing how many laps are left. When I've done these unknown distance events in the past, the first you know the race is coming to an end is when the bell goes for the last lap. Last week we were given a five-lap countdown. From my point of view, that's too much warning. It discourages attacks because you'd have to be ferociously strong to stay away from the bunch for five-plus laps. If you do it the other way and only give riders a one-lap warning and the bell, then the races tend to be characterised by endless doomed, optimistic attacks off the front, with riders hoping that they'll get away and hear ringing in their ears simultaneously. Shouldn't complain - the five-lap thing worked out well for me last week!

• Members

Based on the times for the two B+C races, probably about 13-14 laps. It could potentially be anything, though. I think the determining factor last week was time - the last race kicked off after 10 o'clock, so by rights we should all have been off the track and on our way home.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, Iain, Billy, and Paul. I'll get myself out to the velodrome early and take up Darryl's offer on the way back (if that's still OK.)

Getting back was my main worry. I tried to get Thursday off work but I was knocked back, so I'm starting at six the morning after the league.