Track League

Darryl Gunson

• 2024 Subscriptions

A few questions about the league, primarily aimed at Richard and Paul, but anyone else who can answer as well.

• Do you need to be a BC member and have a licence?
  • If you don't need a licence/BC membership, how do you enter, as the BC website seems to assume you are a member. Can you email Jeanette Hazlett direct?
  • Do you have to enter all the races for a season or is it for each night?
  • How much does it cost?

Bike arriving tomorrow, hope to be racing next week.

Ohyadancer!

• Members

Here's the information that was published before the inaugural meet:

http://www.britishcy...ttish-Cycling-0

It says that a licence isn't required. All that's needed is "provisional membership to Scottish Cycling". I have no idea what that means! If I was forced to guess I'd say that BC membership probably confers Scottish Cycling membership upon the holder, and that the BC Ride package would satisfy the requirements and allow you to enter online. You're probably better off just emailing Janette, Darryl. There's an email address on the page above.

I can answer the other questions, thankfully! Entry is a tenner, plus a small booking fee - I think it's 60p. You can enter one night at a time. There's no need to block book in advance. I wonder if we're perhaps reaching the point where demand exceeds the available places. The second night was definitely busier than the first and a lot of people must have completed the accreditation process in the ensuing fortnight. The organiser selects the entrants, however, so I suppose there's no advantage in booking early. As Billy says, it's not on next week anyway.

Billy, you can get a hire bike for the league, but they won't let you change the gearing. As the hire fleet are on 82" or some such spinny combo, I would suggest that racing on one would be a total waste of time. Sorry. That's my understanding of the current situation but as is the way with the velodrome, it's all based on hearsay.

My entry has been accepted for tomorrow. I take it I'm on my tod? Maybe not a bad thing if I am. Legs weren't working today. Best to get drubbed in private.

• Members

Richard, remember Celtic are playing at home tomorrow, so allow additional travelling time.

Ta, Graeme. There was a reminder about the Celtic game in the organiser's entry confirmation email, too. Hoping it won't be a problem. Even if I arrive about half-five, that's still a good two hours before kick-off.

• Members

Ha! I hope this does the trick, Paul.

I had an OK night, ta, Darryl. There were loads of C riders last night - so many that they made the women race with the A juniors. Even then there were so many bodies that the first C scratch was split into two separate races, and the last races of the evening, mixed B and C unknown distance, were again split into two races. The short version of my evening: 3rd in the scratch; 2nd in the points; 4th in the devil; and 1st in the unknown distance.

The long version: Woke up with terrible lower back pain. Thought about not going and did my usual pre-race fretting about crashing/getting hammered for most of the day. I'm no' really cut out to be a racer, but I'm fine when I actually get started. My scratch group had loads of first-timers. Lots of appalling riding. I went to the front too soon to get away from it all, procrastinated as I went back down the line and let the first two riders get the jump on me. Only made third place by about two inches.

The points race was an exercise in pain. I was second in three of the sprint laps and third, I think, in the other sprint lap. Unfortunately, Gerry McGarrity of Inverclyde Velo won every single sprint that I was second in. I was able to hang on to his wheel and get up alongside him, but not, alas, get in front of him. He's very, very strong. Don't know if my smaller gear is a disadvantage in those shoulder to shoulder sprints. Gerry's riding 51*15.

I made a pig's ear of the devil. I got caught on the outside of a long string of riders with no-one to hide behind. I must have ridden five or six laps on my tod with everyone else underneath me. When it got down to five riders I was at the back. I narrowly avoided elimination as we came to the line. Next time around I just couldn't get over the other riders. Nothing left in the tank. My legs were like jelly after that race.

Last race - unknown distance, mixed B and C. I was broken after the devil - really knackered. I sat at the back of the bunch, dead last and uninterested in anything other than riding round. I went past riders who were being shelled out the back, closing up the gap, but didn't move up the field any further. I found myself behind a rather erratic but broad-shouldered chap so I sat on his wheel as the front of the race destroyed itself waiting for five laps to appear on the board. When it did I regained my interest in racing! I moved up the field and got onto the back of a break of four. One lap to go and I moved out around the rider closest to me. As soon as I started to accelerate I knew I was going to get all of them. I even had time to look over my shoulder before the line. :-) 12 races to get a win. I've been in the top four for my last eight races, but I was starting to give up on a victory there. Thought I'd have to race in a bridesmaid's dress instead of a skinsuit!

I never know if these write-ups are an accurate reflection of what actually happened, but that's how I remember it anyway.

I think I'm for the B group next time around. Nonetheless, I can hardly wait to have other Wheelers there. I hope you're the first of many, Darryl!

• 2023 Subscriptions

I never know if these write-ups are an accurate reflection of what actually happened, but that's how I remember it anyway.

I'd say that was a pretty accurate account Richard - you were looking good on Wed. Well done on a fine evening. Sorry I didn't see your first win in the final race as we ran for it as soon as the last youth race was finished to avoid the traffic from Celtic Park.

In the youth section Danny Mul nabbed 2 x 2nds and 2 x 3rd places. Here's hoping he can follow in your wheeltracks and get his maiden win before too long as well.