Strathclyde triathlon 2/9/12

Alan McLean

• Committee

I was disappointed not to join the Joansin Massive on the Georgetown drag yesterday, but I made up for it by racing at Strathclyde Park today.

The organisers run the (televised) national pro series event a couple of hours after the punters. So lots of flags, banners and barriers and telly.

This was a national (UK) ranking event so lots of good racers were there hoping for a team GB place in European finals.

There were a lot of meeja folk who "interviewed" me three times, either as a test for their equipment or because they felt sorry for me and wanted to show that the sport has a place for the more mature enthusiast, not just superfit, young athletes.

No swim because of worries that the loch was being topped up by the local sewage outflows following high rain and Clyde levels.

So 1500m run, 38k bike, 10 run. There was a wave start in batches. I went early and was second over the line but overall 4th in category. Not as good as I'd like because I think we were divided into two vet categories, waiting for the full results.

That is probably the end of tri season for me but Duncan has a couple of events to go and will doubtless be wearing his tight little JWCC trisuit with pride.

Saw Bud Johnston from the Couriers but otherwise this was a bit of a tri-dork fest

Alan