Wanted - Junior road bike

• 2023 Subscriptions

Stephen,

HI, how are you doing?

My son has a islabike Benin 24 which is what Kenny is selling I think. He is 10 and is getting a bit big for it although it should last till next year. I am not sure how tall he is but possibly slightly shorter than 140. Think you need something bigger. The benin is set up as a mountain/ cross/ general purpose bike with straight bars. If looking for a drop bar road bike then better with a luath islabike or dawes. 26inch wheels probably what you need. The islabikes are superb, hold thier value really well and loads of the jets have them almost without any problems. I have had three of them and would look to get another as the boys get older.They are more expensive but in this instance you get what you pay for.

just my tuppence worth

cheers

duncan

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'd agree with Duncan. Your son sounds as if he might be at the upper end of height for a 24" bike, but we've got a couple in the garage and you're welcome to try for size.

Next step up would be something like a 26" Luath from isalbikes http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/luath26.html You know good bikes aren't cheap, but these are good value. Can be used on or off road, and hold their value for re-sale, so worth the investment.

Other options include a 650c wheeled bike like the Moda here http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/p/22514/mod ... c-bicycle/ Less versatile than the Luath, but a nice wee machine. I know someone who has one and may be getting ready to sell at the end of the road season.

Ribble do 44cm framed 700c wheels, and Merida have an extra small framed machine too.

Cheers,

M

• 1 month later...