Aberfeldy Middle Distance Tri

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Moments before a crash happened right next to us today, Alan McLean mentioned that he had won the Vets category of the Aberfeldy tri yesterday!! Didn't get a chance to hear more about it.

Fantastic result Alan!! Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

All I know is that it is a middle distance, which is half Ironman length, and Alan did well under 5hours! Hopefully a full report to come!?

• Committee

Hi guys

Can the moderators tolerate more tri talk?

Yes once again we headed to Aberfeldy for the annual 1.9k dip in Loch Tay followed by a 90k TT round Loch Rannoch and then a 21k run from Aberfeldy to Strathtay and back. Nice wee 250m climb up to Braes of Foss.

The weather was perfect, warm but not too much sun.

The scenery remains stunning and it is almost a shame to hammer through it.

My PB was 5.04 and I was just looking for a sub 5 hour time.

I could see I was sub-5 and I relaxed a wee bit on the last 5k of the run. Suddenly I was passed by Frank Boyne, a vet from West Lothian who is a very good runner, and I had to raise my pace hugely to keep in contact and then overtake him in the last 2k which we covered in seven minutes. I was relieved to beat him by 14 seconds with a time of 4.46 but I had no idea I was first vet Oh ya dancer ! until the prizegiving. Thank goodness I didn't let him go, there is a racing lesson there.

I was about sixth individual out of around 350. Lots of teams ahead but they don't count :grin:

Chip system not working so no formal splits but self-timed splits (for the forum tri-geek trolls) were

Swim 32

Bike 2.40

run 1.29

plus a few minutes in transition.

In answer to Charlie, (the incredibly fit) Gordon Durnan passed me on the bike at Rannoch and punctured two seconds later! So I had some luck as well.

Really nice of him to wait by the road to cheer us on and was still there shouting encouragement an hour later on my return.

Duncan demolished his PB by forty minutes, Dr Fuentes is very pleased with both of us.

Special mention for Sarah Bradford, Johnstone Jets, who did the swim for her team (sub 30 mins), came out on her bike to encourage us on the run, and then rode today in the crit. :shock: Oh, and won her age group national triathlon champs a week ago. Oh ya dancer !

Having posted about this race from mid-pack for six years it's nice to have a result. Hello, beer !!

See you out there.

Alan