Campag Ergopower repair advice

Broke the summer bike out today only to discover that my Ergopower shifter (rear mech) is not operational - changes up the block (to big cogs) fine and engages but crashes when coming down to small cog. Suspect the pawls are not engaging correctly in the ratchet or a return spring is broken or tired.

Has anybody had similar experience, or have views on whether it is worth attempting disassembly and repair - from Youtube videos it looks fiddly to say the least and don't know whether spares are available or not.

Looks like the first Georgetown TT's will be on 'crosser :shock:

D

The levers seem complicated but shouldn't defeat you. Most common repair needed in my experience was the G-springs (yes, really) needing replaced. You can download exploded diagrams as pdfs .they are on the campag site and the service centre will supply the parts . Generally cheap, ( used to be. Mercian cycles or Select cycle components both in or near Derby)

If it clicks up the block but jumps back down- the ratchet doesn't seem to hold it's almost certainly the g springs. You need two . They used to be under a pound each and postage was three so order four springs

Most easily done with a bench vise (tho I never had one) and I think you need a pair of three mm Allen keys

Worth trying for the satisfaction of it if nothing else

The levers seem complicated but shouldn't defeat you. Most common repair needed in my experience was the G-springs (yes, really) needing replaced. You can download exploded diagrams as pdfs .they are on the campag site and the service centre will supply the parts . Generally cheap, ( used to be. Mercian cycles or Select cycle components both in or near Derby)

If it clicks up the block but jumps back down- the ratchet doesn't seem to hold it's almost certainly the g springs. You need two . They used to be under a pound each and postage was three so order four springs

Most easily done with a bench vise (tho I never had one) and I think you need a pair of three mm Allen keys

Worth trying for the satisfaction of it if nothing else

• 2023 Subscriptions

Simon Simpson, aka Mr Shimergo. Good to see you back on the forum with mechanical advice. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Davie,

dumb question, but is have you checked that the lever isn't clogged with anthing? I once spend ages messing about with a lever until I worked out that bar tape was preventing the lever from returning.

If that doesn't work, I have a used 10-speed record rh lever in a box in the garage if you want. Give me a shout.

Cheers for all the advice guys - I'll ignore the one about Shimano though.

Convinced it is the springs but will douse liberally with WD40 before taking it apart.

Martin - I'll see how I get one but the lever may come in handy, I'll let you know.

D