Bike Box

Hi Tom,

If you've been thinking about a hard shell, then you'll have seen that some of them are pretty expensive...but protect the bike. The advantage with BA is that you get a decent weight allowance.

I currently own:

1) A 'box' which is just 2 pieces of plastic a few mm thick but not very solid. The bike has survived a trip abroad once padded with pipe lagging etc

2) An unpadded bag. Thick canvas construction that has been on a couple of trips on a plane with no issues.

3) A padded bag which I took to the Pyrenees in June. This is great. Wheels on the bottom and so much easier to carry about and it's padded nicely. Got it on ebay for a good price.

There's one on ebay at the moment - Tifosi bike bag

• Members

I've been looking at these, Tom:

http://bikeboxalan.co.uk/

Online comments are generally favourable, and I like the anti-crush pole and the fact the case is more compact than some of its competitors. Pricey, though - but only a small fraction of the cost of the bike which will go inside it.

I haven't ordered yet, so I'll watch this thread with interest.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Leaning towards the hard shell. BBA does look like the best available but is certainly not cheap. As you say though it is only a fraction of the bike cost. I think the fact that many pro teams use it speaks quite highly of it.

I wonder what Santa is up to this year ;-)

Tom

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi

I also looked into this. The SciCon and BBA are the best. Problem is the cost. Approx £400. Second issue is the weight. You will be over the limit of 23kgs. So be prepared for excess baggage charges. Also, they are impractical if you intend to drive.

Still, for peace of mind, they are the best. I think I'll go with my padded bag with lots of structural cardboard and pipelagging.

Cheers

Darryl

Tom,

I had an initial look at perhaps hiring a box for the week £50-£60 if I recall. Only problem was the company I looked at was in England and cost to get the box north of the border was just daft.

On the issue of shipping bikes, was there any further chat on perhap taking a container holding all the bikes, Fedex'ing it to the hotel and splitting the cost. Thoughts anyone.

M

M,

The very query I was going to ask re. independant freight. Did a quick search on-line and was quoted stupid money for single bike but if there are people who use logistics carriers regularly it may be a practical, cheap and safe way of getting multiple bikes across. A hassle free trip in and out of airports would be a big bonus.

As for boxes I have ruled out splashing the cash for a rigid as too expensive for the odd couple of trips. I am going to try and re-inforce an old padded bag which I use before for aluminium bike. Some form of rigid shadow board which I could fasten the bike to before inserting it in the bag is a thought but probably end up with cardboard inserts and lots of packing.

D

• 2023 Subscriptions

I have used bike bags for 20 years with the worse damage being a slightly buckled front wheel which trued up very quickly. A bit of effort required up front on pipe lagging and cardboard, removing and padding all sensitive points etc. I reckon I'll stick with the trusty padded bag.

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

I think ill blag or buy a padded bag too, also since I work for a food shop I have prime access to lots and lots of cardboard, so if you need some ill be happy to take some, really dont think the managers will have any issues and if they do, ill just speak to a lower manager!

Greg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Greg

Ihave a bike bag which you can borrow. pad it out with your clothes etc and you should be ok.

for those looking at bike boxes any hard shell box would do. plenty of choice on the web. last year when we went to girona Campbell wrapped his bike in a card box box and it was fine. I think he has done this quite a few times and I.m sure he would happily tell you what to do

• 2 weeks later...