Training Group

Guest EPCC

Hi All

With the season coming to an end, i was wondering abount intrest in having a training group for all the dark painfull turbo nights that are just around the cornor.

Before anybody feels excluded anybody can get involved and like all training if you have a goal it is easier to stay motivated ( mine is to get to 75k and quicker on the hills)

I am not a coach but have read a bit on the subject and researched some training plans.

Plan outline would be based on 4 week blocks with the third week being harder than the first and the 4 being easier ( recovery ) this can and would likely be changed to suit each. The plan would be based and use Tacx training sessions other sessions and advice from our more experienced cycllists

The blocks are Base 4 weeks to 8 weeks and can be extended usually low HR Endurance work

Build 8 Weeks Endurance VO2, Form, Strength ( 3 sessions )

Intensity 4 weeks Endurance, Extensive Intervals, strength and form.

Peak 4 weeks Endurance Speed Interval Hill

Race or Goal 4 weeks Endurance Form Interval Speed

The plan would be to do some tests Concetti test ( some limitations but should be fine for us) and weight some time in Octoober and re test every 8 week block the reason behind the test is that you should be able to see improvements. Also doing this as a group would give us some addtional motivation.

As stated at the start you dont have to have the goal of racing as your target so anybody can take part and see if they can get some gains from a structured programme. What you will need is a heart rate monitor as the point of the test is to give you more acurate training zones and a bike.

Point to note is most of the early endurance work will be in HR zone 1 to 2 and this should be strictly managed.

Should alow you to ride your normal bunch ride

So if you want to get involved post below

Note

The length of the blocks are a guide and if no gains are evident you may need to extend the block, also it is your own responsibility to manage what your body is saying and to adjust the level you are training at.

Hello, beer !!

Billy,

Sounds like a plan Oh ya dancer !

If circumstances and time allow I would be up for this to assist my battle back to fitness and to lose some excess baggage :oops:

Point of note though: for level 1/2 rides to have the desired endurance effect you need to clock up a number of miles/hours per week. Maybe not entirely possible on cold, dark winter nights unless you are a turbo junkie (as I know you are ;-) ).

Would probably be benifical for most to do some slightly higher intensity intervals through the week with a long ride/s at the weekend.

Circuit training also used to be a fundemental training platform through the winter months and we have the equipment in the clubhouse and should utilise it. I know Katrina used to take a circuit session once a week and maybe some guidance from her would be good. I think a lot of people would gain great benefits from some solid upper body/core work (including myself :roll: )

I have been thinking a bit aout winter training myself recently and have a circuit selected that would be good for building speed nearer the season and for something a bit different beforehand. Fully lit with good surfaces and in a relatively quiet area (at least when its cold and dark). It does benifit my interest however that it is at the end of my street Oh ya dancer ! However perhaps somebody else is aware of a suitable circuit that could offer the same (industrial estates are usually pretty good if you avoid the security guards :icon_mooning

Just a couple of thoughts.

Colin Hello, beer !!

Colin

like i said advice will be utilised as i am not a coach i was just thinking of turbo sessions and easy ride 2/3 hours ( sunday) as a group and gym core work as an individual however as the training blocks move on the intensity and amount will increase

Colin

One of the training endurance plans involves 10 min warm up and cool down and 3 20 min intervals at 240 wats so us mortals will be working

However the base stuff is a fair bit lighter on the run but fairly intense on the turbou

• 2023 Subscriptions

From my year at college (HNC Fitness, Health and Exercise) I can offer some advice on training. I also have a Level 2 SVQ gym instructor (certificate viewable to anyone looking to check credentials) So I can help with the gym based exercise. Ill have a look for various materials too, fitness related. I dont have everything but Ive got some things, just ask! I Also have some nutritional knowledge through being a T1 diabetic and from the course.

Greg

Equipment Required

Forgot to say you may need a turbo preferably one with adjustable resistance ,heart rate monitor access to a gym or space for core and or strength conditioning work

Hopeful that Greg will draw up a simple core and strength exercise program and Mark will draw up post turbo stretches program

Also those who are taking part should decide their target date so that they can adapt to suit

For me it is to be fit for the start of the race season so after 18th September I will take a break prior to starting the base and build phases of my training in October

Some of the coaches suggest between 4 and 12 weeks base training so figure out when you would like to hit peak as it may help allocating the blocks

Will these sessions be taking place on tues/thurs evenings when turbo usually happens during winter? we can all encourage, slate or take the piss when we train together. Like the idea of sessions being posted in advance so we can continue the weeks we cant make it. Getting quite excited about this. K x Nothing's THAT funny !