JD Memorial run

P McDonald

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering how far Paul McD's route is.

I think it may be too far too fast for me but Hunters Quay to strachur and back is too short. So, maybe there are some people interested to repeat the route we did in April via Glen Lean (southerly route).

So options would be :

a) Paul McD's route via R&BT/Hells Glen - leaving club at 09:00. Distance ???

B) 09:30 ferry. Hunters Quay to Strachur via Glen Lean and back to HQuay. Distance 47 miles. HQ to Strachur is 30 miles so should be there by 12:00 (barring major mechanicals).

c) Jan/Elaine's route. 10:00 or 10: 30 ferry. HQ shortest route to Strachur and back - 34 miles.

I don't know what the total numbers will be but would it be a good idea to phone the cafe to forwarn?

Paul C

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul C,

The long route is approx 100miles (60m + from Johnstone to Strachur, 18m from Strachur to Hunters Quay and then 20m from Gourock to Johnstone). Then there is also the distance from home to Johnstone and back etc.

I imagine that some of the hills may be keenly contested, in a similar manner to a normal run out with JD! :grin:

See you all Sunday.

Cheers,

R

PMcD - 08:20 at the loch?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul,

8:30 at the loch sounds good.

My thoughts on a 9am start from the club room would get us to Strachur closer to 12:30 even on a good steady run, given it is a hilly 60miles.

Cheers,

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great to see there are now 3 run options converging on Strachur cafe for about noon on Sunday.

Good point from Ramsay that it would more like an 8.30am departure from clubrooms for the 60 mile run. So - a final show of hands for 8.30am clubrooms, bridge, either luss/military road or helensburgh/whistlefield - RABT - Hells glen - Stachur. Then maybe Ballochandrain over to Dunoon after some tea and scones.

Club kit wherever possible :grin: big photo shoot option

Oh ya dancer !

Martin,

Turn left after Sandbank onto B836 towards Glendaruel. According to my OS atlas it is called Glen Lean - maybe the JWCC dictionary calls it something else!

To others :

There seems to be a fair number taking option a) route.

How about the other options? I am taking B) route and will probaly cycle from Lochwinnoch to ferry via B788 to Greenock (20 miles) leaving 7:50 - 8:00. If any body else cycling to the ferry I could dive into Kilmalcolm (as alternative) and take track/Clune route (like last time).

• 2023 Subscriptions
Martin,

Turn left after Sandbank onto B836 towards Glendaruel. According to my OS atlas it is called Glen Lean - maybe the JWCC dictionary calls it something else!

To others :

There seems to be a fair number taking option a) route.

How about the other options? I am taking B) route and will probaly cycle from Lochwinnoch to ferry via B788 to Greenock (20 miles) leaving 7:50 - 8:00. If any body else cycling to the ferry I could dive into Kilmalcolm (as alternative) and take track/Clune route (like last time).

With you now Paul. Tarsan dam and Loch Striven over to Glendaruel, and then?

Straight on over the Leanach to Strachur would suit me and the young lad.

What ferry are you planning to catch?

• Life Members

Hi Paul & Martin,

I'll join you for the medium run.

I was planning on driving to clubroom and start from there, but if no one is then I can drive to Lochwinnoch and meet up with you Paul if thats O.K?

Hope to see more folks for this, should be a cracker!

Cheers

Chung