Jim Daly

KennyS

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Alison,

It's Ian McGinty here, we met at the race in Barmill, I had my daughter Erin with me who wouldn't let go of your hand. Keep an eye on this thread for any further details of arrangements and feel free to PM me if you have anything you want to ask...Take care.

Ian..

I was down in Tignabruaich all last week and have been out of touch. I was out on Friday on the Bealachandrain , a climb I have watched Jim disappear on more than once, when I caught a couple of guys from Pedal Power. I was wearing a club top and they passed on their condolences not realising that I had not heard this shocking news.

It seemed very poignant as I had just been thinking about the last time I was over that way with Jim. He was first into Tignabruaich and, following a breakdown in communication, he had pulled in for a cafe stop expecting the bunch to be close behind. Unfortunately we all shot through heading for Otter Ferry and an eventual stop at Strachur. I gave Jim a quick call and, following a leisurely hamburger (!) and the usual latte he chased us down along Loch Fyne and made it to Stachur in time to finish another coffee before we showed up.

On another occasion a post for the Tignabruaich run resulted in only Jim and myself turning up at the Western ferry. I didn't know whether to be glad or afriaid. I knew it would be a tough day well out of my comfort zone but i knew that Jim could always be relied upon for a tow or encouragement and advice. I remember he stopped for a pee at the foot of the Tarsan climb and said he would catch me. I made it to the top before he did - it must have been some piss! Remember this is the guy who dropped Lance and myself on the Bowfield.

As I say I used to be a bit scared of Jim. I remember in my early days getting a few strong reprimands for poor bunch riding, usually for going rapidly backwards on small rises and nearly ending up on the bars of the Colnago. As I got to know him better I found him to be , as all the tributes here indicate, a very knowledgable and generous rider and someone who could always be relied on for his forthright and intelligent opinions on any topic.

On the recent trips to Girona and Flanders Jim seemed to be really happy and enjoying life. A demob happy Jim in a smoky bar in old town Girona ordering yet another brown beer will be a great memory for all that were there. A rare DNF in Flanders meant it was more of the same there. He was also enjoying the new West End flat and , while the racing program may have been curtailed, I can genuinely say that in the time I knew him, I have not seen Jim happier than in the last year.

I'll miss you Jim.

I have just been on the phone on to Jim's brother, Daniel, and Jim's funeral has been confirmed for Wednesday 22nd June

10:15am at Kilbarchan Cemetery

10:45am at St Machar's Ranfurly Church, Bridge of Weir

Kenny

Kenny, is that the right way about? Somebody else asked me the same thing on the Braveheart Forum?