Jim Daly

KennyS

• 2023 Subscriptions

Very sad news. I only met Jim a few times but was fortunate enough to be in Flanders with him.

A real gent and entertaining too. I fondly recall his tale of dropping Lance Armstrong on the Braes

RIP Jim with heartfelt condolences to his family.

Tom

I'm stunned...

Jim was one of the few Johnstone wheeler's who rode track when i first started, and was always very supportive for my sprinting. I remember his first track event we did a team sprint together, vaguely remember coming 3rd! Always the first to ask about how track was going. Aloways the first to congratulate on successes. Always willing to offer help, and expected none in return. Jim was one of the most genuine characters I've met in cycling.

RIP Jim

Jonathan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Felt the need to write a wee ditty early this morning - this is just the wee bit of Jim that I knew,

JD...............

He was usually late, but he was always there,

A sense of drama would sweep through the air,

Jim would arrive with a tale of woe,

Tell me later Jim, just lets go!

Was it a puncture, was it a crash?

Did he forget his bike in the morning thrash?

The reasons were many, the reasons were mad,

Forgot the road from his west end pad!?

Wonderfully eccentric, a bit of a nut,

Tell a joke, he was often the butt!

But he took it all and he took it with grace,

Then made a wee smirk and lifted the pace,

His tales were amazing, his tales were a blast,

I didn’t know a bike could go that fast,

With so many great days he’ll be sorely missed,

I just wish there were more to add to the list,

But I look on the bright side as I know Jim would,

The days that we shared were very good,

So I’ll raise a glass to a really great guy,

As he burns off ET on his bike in the sky!

• Life Members

I just heard the extremely sad news..........I'm shocked & speechless.

I joined the club around the same time as Jim back in May 2005, and spent many cycling miles in his company. He was without doubt one of the nicest chap in the bunch!

My memory of Jim with me other than on the bike will be window shopping for furniture in Girona for his new flat in the Westend, after we both had bike problems on the day.

It had been my privilege to have known him.

What a sad lost.....Rest in Peace, Jim!

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions
Johnny and I will always remember a brilliant day with Jim in Edinburgh, only a year ago.

Have to agree with Wilie, and that photo brought a big smile to my face. Who else would try to warm up on rollers holding an umbrella? For me that day at the champs kind of summed up Jim - racing his legs off one minute, and next minute trackside to support and encourage the others, especially the 10 year old 'Joansins' in their first track champs.

He ended up on the podium too - a big smile on his face. Forza Jim!

Like everyone else - really shocked and saddened at the news.

Jim was the first person I (Iain) met on a grey and wet March Saturday morning in 2008, as I took my first tentative steps back towards club cycling. His enthusiasm was infectious and irresistable. Later, he provided Mary with similar encouragement as she started out with the club.

Our thanks Jim for all of that. Our thoughts go to his family and many friends.

Iain & Mary

I didn't know Jim like most of the rest of the folks in the club.

I do remember he was always smiling as long as his legs were spinning.

Always wanting to up the pace on a club run and ready to pounce on anyone that went for a 30 sign.

I was speechless yesterday, especially after being out with him on that infamous Thursday last week.

RIP Jim.

Absolutely shocked to hear the sad news of Jim's passing. I only had the pleasure of cycling with Jim on 2 occasions, the first of which had Jim encouraging me to join the Wheelers and needlessly going out of his way to show me how to get to Miller Street. I can't claim to have known him well but he appeared a genuinely nice bloke, who will be sadly missed.

I extend my heart felt sympathies to Jim's family and friends at the is most difficult of times.

Mark

• 2023 Subscriptions

So so sad to hear the news about Jim. He was very much admired by so many people, whether they be newbies like myself or seasoned cyclists. One of the funniest memories I have is returning home one Sunday afternoon to find that Ramsay and Jim had demolished half a christmas cake! Apparently they had missed the cafe stop!

My thoughts to all who knew him

Elaine x

Sad news.

I only met Jim once (the photos jogged my memory) and it was just before the Eikenburg on Flanders this year, I'd been saying hi to any Johnstone guys I saw, having just moved into the area and being about to join the club runs.

Anyway, as I passed him I turned and said "How you doing?"

"Shite" he replied, with a massive grin on his face, before laughing his head off. That's a true cyclist.

RIP.

Like everyone else, I was shocked to hear this sad news.

A light has gone out...or has it entirely? Look at all the glowing memories everyone has of Jim. He's left a lagacy of so many happy memories with so many people...

Lance Armstrong asked Jim to 'lift it up', and in a different context, he certainly did that with people's spirits!

Dennis

Dear all. I am absolutely devastated to hear the news about Jim. As some of you may know, Jim and I were seeing each other for a while a couple of months ago (I am the girl from Yorkshire who sat in the car with Jim when he drove the lead car in a recent race, we had to stop the race due to a crash?). We continued to remain friends, and the sudden loss of contact from Jim made me realise that something was wrong, and eventually I came across the announcement on Braveheart when trying to find out. If someone could please, please keep me informed, I would really appreciate it. I am as much in the dark about this terrible incident as anyone else. As many of you have said, in the short time I knew Jim, I found him to be the most inspirational person I had ever met, and it is due to Jim that I have now entered my first season of road racing, his constant encouragement and enthusiasm made it possible for me to find the confidence to do so. He never missed texting to ask how my last time trial had gone, and I was chuffed to bits for him when he won his recent race, having been less fit than he would have liked for a few months. I will never, ever, forget him.

RIP Jim xxx

• 2023 Subscriptions

Allison

Lovely to hear from you - I was the race organiser the day that you and Jim kindly did the lead car. Like you, we are really gonna miss him. Still trying to come to terms with his leaving us to ride a bike in the sky!

take care and keep up the time trialling

Paul McD